3.4.16

Sunday Long Run - Mississippi River

Plan: Warm up for 0.5 miles, run with a low heart rate, stop when I get to the coffee shop near my house, buy coffee and walk home from there.


Route: Along the creek to the river, up one side of the river, back down the other, then home.  I used this route a lot when marathon training.  The route itself is around 12 miles and I haven't used it at all in training the past couple of years.  It's not my favorite route, but today was nice to change things up a bit.

Weather: It was windy.  But winds were out of the south so they were quite warm. I started the run around 43* and finished the run above 50*.  I went in shorts and a shirt with arm sleeves.  The arm sleeves were down by mile 1 and not back on until I got my coffee.

Execution: Warm up and low heart rate worked for a long time.  Longer than I'd expected, especially given the up/down nature of this route.  I kept reminding myself of when I started heart rate training and could run 15:00/mile with a heart rate of 154.  Today I was 10-15 beats/minute below that and not quite as slow.  (Almost, but not quite.)  Once I got near the Ford Parkway bridge I was pretty much ready to be done.  I started moving a little faster and stopped caring about my heart rate.  Obviously.

Nutrition: Today's nutrition worked significantly better than my last long run.  I took a couple chews whenever I was hungry and had a sip of water or two whenever I was thirsty.  No stomach issues, which is always nice for a long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment