14.5.13

Tuesday: Another long run, another fall.

It's a long story how this week's long run got scheduled for a Tuesday morning, but that's how things went down.  I had an "at least 10" on the books, which turned out to be an 11.5 miler around Lakes Harriet and Calhoun.  The other option was the super hill at Ft Snelling but after last weekend I kind of wanted a break from the hills.




I had yet another fall, this time in mile 4 while running on the trail/gravel/grass alongside the paved trail.  my foot just caught something.   I got a bloody knee that looked worse than it was most of the way.  It only started getting stiff in the last mile or two of the run.  Figured out later that I re-upset my shoulder too. Awesome.  I'm considering getting my peripheral vision checked because I feel like this is just one too many falls for a season, even counting that a couple were on ice.



I have a long term marathon pace goal for Twin Cities.  I'm not ready to write about it just yet.  The goal for this run was to keep the miles under a certain pace.  Obviously the first couple of miles were warm up miles and above whatever pace I could've dreamed up for myself.  I have to say, I'm pretty happy with the miles around Lake Calhoun.  There used to be a time I couldn't even run that fast for a 5K.




Somewhere in mile 9 I knew I was going to get caught at a long light anyways, so I pulled out my camera and snapped some pictures.  Lake Calhoun looked amazing this morning, both lakes did.  The sunrise glinting off the downtown skyscrapers was also quite impressive but harder to capture with a camera.



I ran in my fancy schmancy Nike shorts that I got in Florida, and the raceback tank Mom got me at the marathon expo.  I had super thin socks inside my Asics (which seems to be the way to go), and wore a fuel belt but only took a couple bottles of water.  I love everything I wore but perhaps the racer back tank the most.  I like to imagine I look like a bad ass in it, although that's probably not how it appears to everyone else.

It's a good thing I got my run in when I did, because I'm sure we set a record with the current temperature.  Wow!


No comments:

Post a Comment