5.2.13

Why does running in the snow hurt my ankles?

This post could also be titled "why does running in the show shred my legs" and "why the hell was I running in that much snow to begin with?".   I had something of a wild hair last night obviously.  I got up this morning at 6am ask me the last time that happened and headed out for a run.  I knew it snowed more than an inch last night but I was all "I just want to see what it will be like to run in this much snow". 

The answer is Slow.  It will be Slow to run in this much snow.  No one really had their sidewalks shoveled except for a couple intrepid homeowners who were up earlier than me.  Even the parks for the most part didn't have anything plowed.  The exceptions were about 200 yards of trail around Lake Hiawatha and all of Lake Nokomis.  Not even the parkway had been cleared yet.

It was an atypically slow run, even for me.  I felt like I was going to slip when I was running uphill, even with my yak trax on, so I walked in some places.  I got caught at the light every single time I tried to cross Cedar Ave, and that was several times.  My legs feel shredded from running in the snow so much work and my ankles are crazy sore.  They never get sore.  I noticed I was running with much more of a flat foot strike in the deep snow because I needed as much of my foot touching the ground as possible for traction.  I'm assuming that's why my ankles are feeling like they do.

I saw one of the most Minnesota things ever on the way home: a guy shoveling his roof.  If you live here you just understand.  I totally stopped and took a picture.  By the time I got home, I'd done 7 miles.  Long run: accomplished.  I love the part of training where 7 miles is a long run!  Also another win for the Yak Trax and the reflective vest.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment