31.1.12

Sunday Long Run - Running in the snow edition

As with last weekend, I totally meant to work out yesterday and slept all day instead.  Although yesterday there was a sinus headache that wanted to be a migraine so sleep was the only option.

Today I woke up feeling much better.  So great that I had pasta for breakfast!  (The thing about living alone is I can do stuff like that.)  I kept checking the weather and ultimately decided to man up for an outside run.  (I just am not emotionally prepared for the gym right now.)


Around 1pm I headed out for a 'long run' which was more like an 'equipment test run' which had some WINS and FAILS.  I did a little out and back with my iPod on the interval timer program and took the Camelbak along for the first time.  Here's the route:

FAILS:
  • It's hard to take pictures with the iPod while it's all hooked up to my ear buds.  Judge for yourself below.
  • Nutrition strategy: waiting until I feel so tired and hopeless I want to cry before taking nutrition is too long.  Perhaps I could time my eating better to avoid the pit of despair feeling altogether.
  • Clothing: I need to wear my neck gator I think.  The wind sucked.  I also wish I had the gloves that I can keep on and still operate touchscreen devices.  Otherwise I was fine.
  • Nutrition strategy part 2: Chomps go in a pocket or glove next to the body, not in the pack.  In the pack they turn into chomps ice cubes that will surely break a tooth.
  • If I'd had my phone I probably would've done Fort Snelling but with the snow on the ground, I was a little iffy on the footing and what to expect on the hills back there.


WINS:
  • Camelbak: It was touch and go because I kept imagining it was leaking on me (not so) but I think it's basically more pleasant than wearing a hydration belt around my waist.
  • Interval timing program on my iPod - basic win.  Towards the end of the run I figured out how to make the program turn down the music so I could hear the timer bells clearly.  It has to do with the order of turning on the program and then music I think?
  • Clothing: I wore two pairs of socks (feet: never cold); two pairs of pants (legs: cold at one point when the wind was coming full on, otherwise fine); two shirts and a jacket (could've had a windproof jacket but it was dirty); hat (I love UnderArmour).
  • This whole "interval" thing, also known as the Galloway method is pretty fun and is providing a nice way of breaking up longer runs into manageable chunks.  I move faster when I run and can focus on form more.  Also, I never would've done a 9 miler today without the run/walk option so yeah for getting out there!


MUSIC from the run - some of my favorites from today's playlist include:


PHOTOS from the run - enjoy!
Looking out at Lake Hiawatha, one of my first "walk" intervals

Hello shadow!

Crazy shadows made my the fencing on the trail!

Looking out at the Mississippi River; over half way done.

This is how we do beaches in Minnesota.  Go here to see what this looked like a few weeks ago. 

At the end of the run. 

No comments:

Post a Comment