9.10.11

Apples!

Today was apple picking day with my Pooky Bear and the Qat Lady.  For our past exploits, see 2006, when I'd just started to loose weight from running; 2007 when we discovered pumpkins; 2009 when I did not take pictures, (an improvement over 2008 when I didn't even write about it?!?); and last year's trip.

This year we had to find a new place because we ran the last orchard out of business.  (Notice how every picture, Qat Lady has an apple in her mouth?)  Since Pooky Bear and Qat Lady are also both full time students, finding the new orchard fell squarely to me.  I found a lovely website called PickYourOwn.org and had a blast looking for orchards around town.  I was trying to avoid anything that had an admission fee, or anything that had an overly large petting zoo.  (You'd think I'd be worried about small kids but you've never see Qat Lady around goats.)  I found one I thought would've been an adventure but apparently it was a little too adventurous (here's a bag, let us know if you have questions, come back before dark) and didn't have apple donuts or a store.  (Maybe one year when we're feeling really wild.)

We settled on McDougal's Apple Junction which had a very different, much smaller, in some ways more professional, in some ways more family run, feeling than Sponsel's, our orchard of old.  It really is this orchard in these people's back yard.  We drove up their driveway, parked on their grass...  I thought the orchard was laid out clearly and liked that we didn't have to wait for a tractor to haul us around; we could explore at our own pace.
A view of the orchards from the "observation tower".  Yes, I did go up someplace high.  I was fine.  Here's Qat Lady and I smiling at the top. 
 
They did have a small 'petting area' with a baby cow (Calf? I missed that episode of Sesame Street), miniature goats, and bunnies.  Bunnies!
We decided they probably didn't use pesticides, or at least very much, because many of the apples that hadn't been picked had over-ripened and were being devoured by bugs.
The Qat Lady, eating apples.  Every time I turned around she was sampling another variety.  Her and Pooky Bear liked the sweeter varieties.  I liked the tarter, earthier varieties.  (Also the best for eating with peanut butter!) 
I had to get this picture so I could put it on a postcard for my nephew!  (Apparently when I send a post card it's important that I'm in the picture.) 
Obligatory "arty" apples shot. 
The three of us, posing for the camera while we waited for the tractor.  Before we realized we didn't need to wait!  This may be the only shot of all three of us wearing shades.
I really liked this picture, with the sky and everything.  Full disclosure - Pooky Bear may not have been such a fan, but how can really tell how a photo looks from the 2" screen on the back of a camera?

After the orchard, we headed into "downtown" Hastings and I use the term "downtown" loosely.  We had lunch at a cute little cafe and then sat out by the river where an eagle kept flying overhead, but never quite close enough for a really good picture.  (My dad would want me to defend this as a Bald Eagle sighting by describing the bird.  It was big, had a white head and white tail and did not rock while it was gliding as Turkey Vultures do.)
PS - I still wish my neighbor would turn down her TV!

No comments:

Post a Comment