19.4.11

New York Monday - Why not to drive through Flatbush on Passover

Monday morning I woke up around 4am when I heard Mark leave.  I kind of fell back into that awake-sleep state for a couple hours.  My alarm went off at 6am so I could take a longer run.  I did the same route as yesterday except I added a second loop of the park including going up that big @ss hill you see between miles 3 and 4.  Nice.  (I wonder if that's why my arches hurt so bad right now.)

Since Mark was gone, the ladies and Little Cousin had the day to ourselves. Irmghard left Little Cousin with me so she could get dressed.  It was hilarious and fun until he started to cry.  Seriously, I love you but I am not capable of feeding you.  I am so sorry.  Mom took care of that and then we headed out.
With my feet up after the run!

Ollie keeping me and Little Cousin company.

Little cousin before he was hungry.  The striped sheets clash horribly with his outfit but I find it only makes him more cute!

The plan was to go by the post office so Irmghard could mail her taxes which we did.  It was at that point she asked me to drive to the breakfast place where we planned on having empanadas.  (Of course I can drive a stick.)  In true Latin style, the place was closed so we headed over to a coffee shop nearby that Mark loves.  (Too bad you weren't there.) I enjoyed awesome coffee and the second questionable chocolate croissant of my trip. (Sorry New York, but Turtle Bread could kick your butt.)
We changed Max's diaper and gave him a little food. By 'we' I mean I talked to Irmghard and sat in the car while she did those things. Then we walked around Williamsburg for a few minutes before needing to get back to the subway.
Best photo of the whole trip?

This was the point of the trip when all hell broke loose. It wasn't so bad for me but I really wished Irmghard could've had a glass of wine when it was all over.

We were in Williamsburg and needed to get back across Brooklyn to their house and so I could pick up the right subway line to JFK. That meant getting across a little place called Flatbush. (You want to take a picture of all the orthodox Jewish men don't you?) I mean, I didn't because I'm sort of used to it, but there really were a lot of people.

Did I mention it was the morning before the first Passover Seder? For those still playing, all the orthodox families were out burning the chametz on the sidewalks along all the streets. It was mayhem because traffic was stopped completely so firetrucks could get through. (The fires seemed to be controlled, firetrucks were maybe just a precaution?) But traffic was stopped.

Traffic was also stopped in such a way that we could neither pull over or switch drivers. I mention this because it was about now that Little Cousin started crying his eyes out and poor Irmghard was stuck in the drivers seat, nothing we could do. Eventually I climbed in the back and tried to comfort him. Seriously, still can't feed you. Irmghard eventually got out of the traffic jam and Little Cousin fell asleep as soon as the car started to move. Thank goodness right? I can understand now how biological it is to respond to the cries of a little baby. Wow!

The train ride was nice and easy. I even managed to get on the correct A train and not wind up at Lefferts Blvd or someplace equally stupid.

I had lots of time at the airport so I had lunch and then found a place to charge my phone (which needed it after all the pictures I'd taken that day). I wound up sitting next to this woman who is from New York, heading to Vegas for business and fun, and a psychologist. I talked to her until my plane boarded. 45 minutes before departure time. Seriously?!?

The plane ride home was basically uneventful other than that people kept grabbing the back of my chair. This may be my flying pet peeve. Crying babies don't really bother me. But when you are behind me and you grab the back of my chair for support to stand up, it moves me and after an eight mile run, it hurts more than you think it should. Perhaps I would have been molested less if I'd been sitting in front of a kid.

Most shocking of all was that my flight landed early.  From JFK. 

Final thoughts:

  • Pandora rocks!
  • My Android's native GPS app is far superior to the native GPS app of the iPhone.
  • I need an "angry birds for idiots" guide.  Perhaps the 5-year old at the Seder tonight can teach me.
  • The people next to me on the flight reminded me of Chris K's family and I have no idea why.
  • Spell check and auto suggest on iOS is also inferior to Android. Ask me about swype too.
  • Both Irmghard and Mark have great taste in music.



Great vacation and congratulations again to new Mom and Dad.  Kiss the baby one more time for me please!

No comments:

Post a Comment