27.2.10

Running and panic attacks

Usually I run to stop having panic attacks and calm down. Today not so much apparently.

  • Morning:I woke up and ate a large breakfast. We'll call that mistake number one.

    Well, no, let's go back. My alarm went off at 6:15a and I was jarred awake thinking, "oh my god, I have to go to wor... wait, what is today? It's not work. What is today? I have to go run." Once I turned the alarm off I realized I was happy in bed (sorry ladies) and that I could just stay there. (See, when the St Paul runners come to my side of town I feel much more pressure to get out of bed, but when they're over on the other side of the river and they have each other even if I don't come, I feel much less pressure to drag my tired butt out of bed.)

    So I slept 'till 9:30 and it was awesome. And then I had a big breakfast which was a mistake.

    After the breakfast I sat around and played on the computer. I talked to Chris in Seattle (thanks Facebook) for a while. It must be great to live in a place where you can see grass and plants and stuff. Wow.


  • Run!In the early afternoon I went for a run around Lake Nokomis. Now, part of the panic was my fault because I should have just picked the distance I wanted to go ahead of time and stuck to it. I did not. Part of the Nokomis run was to investigate the ice situation on the path for tomorrow's run (with the St Paul girls). The lunch I mentioned earlier was not happy about being tossed around on a run. The ice situation was much better on some parts of the lake. The puddle situation in those spots was absolutely out of control. The path was packed and between the puddles and the ice and the people I didn't get up to a nice pace, or even a regular pace which ultimately led to the panic attack.

    I thought then it would be better to run a lap around the back of the lake (on the other side of Cedar) which was way less crowded. Sadly the puddle situation was wicked over there, but very peaceful running.


  • Post run fails and wins:When I came home I tried to take a shower. (And you're thinking "tried"; how'd you screw that up?) There's no hot water. I mean there's hot water but it's not actually hot. It's just warm enough to be not cold. This has been happening at my building a lot this winter. Mostly on the weekends. And no one knows why.

    After failing at the post-run warm up shower at home, I headed over to the gym where I sat in the hot tub for a while. Nice. Then I went to Chipotle and got a chicken burrito. With the guacamole. And I do not regret it.

    Now I'm sitting at home watching the olympics (who knew curling could be interesting to watch) and Office Space (which Beth really needs to watch) and relaxing.


  • Up next:Later on the agenda is loading and running the dishwasher and going to Target. I've finally destroyed my Sony headphones. I can't remember how long they lasted. About forever I think. Anyone have a good earbud for running? The iPod earbuds fall out of my ears when I run with them. The sony headphones (earbud with the plastic hook for your ears) are the best but the cord is so looong. (It matters because it bounces around when I run.) I liked the Nike headphones with the two length cord but the plastic hooks that fit over my ears fell off making them totally useless. We'll see what my options are this time.


And a brief linkfest for you:

No comments:

Post a Comment