14.12.04

What Tomorrow Is

Some days are the greatest day I've ever had. Some days are just an opportunity to do better tomorrow. Guess which kind of day I had.

One of my co-workers is having trouble learning his job. I wanted him to do well and took an interest in him a while ago. I've been keeping up with him ever since. When I'm at the office, I try to stop by his desk and see how things are going. At that point I usually get drug into something or other. But, I expect that and plan my days accordingly.

Today, I and several of my colleagues, including this particular co-worker, volunteered at a Habitat for Humanity warehouse nailing together the frames of houses.

I need to pause and address the family that will live in the houses we framed: I did my best and I believe that at the very least, your house will not be blown over by a strong gust of wind.

Back to the warehouse. Because, apparently, I am the only person who has taken an interest in this co-worker, he sticks with me when we go to things like this. It's hard for me sometimes because I come expecting to hang out with my colleagues, and I wind up making sure he knows what's going on. Today I got impatient at the end of the day, which I now feel rotten about. Tomorrow is just a chance to do better.

I called my Mom later because I had some other things to tell her, but I also told her about this experience and the things that led to my impatience. I was glad I did because she was able to find humor in some of the stories I had.

Her favorite:
Co-worker: "Liz, was there a toilet that we weren't supposed to use?"
Me: "Yeah, there's only one that's working."
Co-worker: "Oh, damn."

It was great to hear my Mom start laughing because I didn't at the time. Really it's a story that deserves some laughter.








No comments:

Post a Comment