20.12.04

The Ice Storm From Hell

I got my car back today, finally. Ironically today was the day winter officially began in Minnesota. We had freezing rain this morning that coated everything in ice, especially the roads.

Remember, I hadn't been a great fan of the rental car they gave me. I liked the fact that it was free, but as a car, I wasn't it's big admire. This is mostly because it's an automatic and I like my stick shift. Also because neons are designed more to look cute than for driveability.

This morning however, I made peace with the car. I take this clover leaf entrance ramp onto the express way. You have to take the ramp slowly in normal conditions because of how sharp the turns are. Add to that, it's a sheet of ice, and it's up hill and there were problems.

Cars were stopping in the middle of the ramp, others were trying to back down the ramp which was screwing up ten different kinds of things, and most of the cars at the top of the ramp were spinning their tires on the ice. I put that cute little car in first gear and we went right up the ramp together. We didn't slide or spin tires or anything. Apparently, the only thing that would make me like the car is shifting gears.

This morning there were 123 wrecks with property damage in the twin cities and 29 accidents involving injuries in the twin cities.

The irony of the situation is that I didn't have my car for so long because I had been in a wreck when it was wet outside. So the day my car is finally fixed, instead of the roads being wet, the roads were icier than they have ever been in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment