20.10.18

Gracie's Cupcake Trot 5K

Gracie's Cupcake Trot in Andover, MN. 
Registration: Online via IM Athlete.  Since it's via IM Athlete, it's fairly predictable and easy.
Packet Pickup: It's a race day pick up.  The volunteers are super sweet!
SWAG: Pink bracelet, a hair tie that I did not take, and an adorable shirt.  All runners get a free cupcake after the race.
Transportation to and from the race: I drove to the race, got there around 8:45am which was PLENTY of time.  Parking was in a lot, totally not a problem.
Volunteers: There was a mix of volunteers.  Some people had shirts saying "Gracies...." (Mom, Dad, uncle, etc) and some had normal volunteer shirts.  Most of the course marshall volunteers appeared to be teenagers.  I want to know how this organization got so many kids to stand out in the cold and clap for me.  That alone is wonderful.
Start Line: The start line was in a parking lot.  No joke.  Also, no timing mats.
Finish: OMG, the last 0.01 miles are up this super steep little "speed bump" thing.  Someone was behind me and I was trying so hard not to get passed.  I thought I was going to die.
Things to know:
Timing: The website says this is a chip timed race. In real life, it's a gun start and chip finish.  There were 65 people in this race, so the gun times and chip times are about the same.  Not a big deal.  But, it's a distinction a lot of "serious" runners would make.
Start time: This race started 15 minutes late because there was a presentation about the non-profit putting on the race that took a while.  I knew at 9:20 when the kids run hadn't started that the race wouldn't go on time. There was a warm space inside (with indoor restrooms with hot water) to wait.  It's not a big deal, but it's something that people who come to run a race will notice.
Course Map: There's no Course Map available online.  I wish there was.  Seeing an elevation profile also would've helped me have a better day.  I think some runners would've been curious enough about the course to bring them out just for that. Since it's a certified course, there's got to be a map somewhere right?
Race Recommended For: This is a very small, very low key race.  I saw lots of kids and families, including a few moms with strollers. Overall the race was adorable, the volunteers were nice, and I'd do it again if the timing works out.
Fasties: Because it's a small race, you will probably win
People who like to run alone: I got a lot of practice racing the tangents and chasing people.  Even though this was a race, it felt like a training run in some ways too, because I was on my own so much.
Families/Kids: There were a lot of kids here; there's also a shorter fun run for kids before the 5K if you have a kid who's too little to go 3 miles
Health conditions: If congenital heart defects have impacted your life/family, these are your people. 
If you're normally in the back of the pack; here's my infographic.  I was in the top 10 women.


My run:
Start time: Posted as 9:30am for the 5K.  In real life, it was 9:45am, which they announced around 9:15am.  At least there was a warm place to wait.
Weather: Ask me about the wind and snow.  The wind was rough.  Snow stopped before the race though.
Wardrobe: Top: Long sleeve shirt; jacket, hat
Bottoms: Brooks running pants, wool socks
Shoes: Merrel Trail Crushers because I wasn't clear if this race was going to be on pavement or not
Route: This course runs around Bunker Hills Regional Park.  I mostly ran this race because I wanted to see Bunker Hills and decide if it was worth it to buy an Anoka County Park pass. (If any of these paved trails are plowed in the winter, I absolutely will buy a park pass.)  This is a very hilly course.  Starts on a road, but mostly on paved trails.  In most places there were volunteers to direct runners at turns, but a couple more places could've used a volunteer.  I was glad I had a runner ahead of me to follow.
Plan/Goals: I was sort of thinking if I could run under 30 minutes or not.  Ultimately the plan was "run by feel" and "run hard".  I didn't know if I could do 30 minutes because I didn't know the course or elevation.
Execution: I ran the first mile too fast, but generally did the "run hard" and "run by feel" thing quite well.  Around mile 3 I could hear someone behind me so I really poured on the gas at the end.  I thought I was going to die. There was no oxygen.  I really didn't want to get passed.
Nutrition:  LOL.  Did I tell you about the cupcake at the end?



Results: 32:45, 3rd in my age group.  I don't know if I get an AG award because I left shortly after the race.
From today, I learned: Even in a race where I'm not going to look at my watch, might be a good idea to check my pace in the first quarter mile to make sure I'm not being an idiot.  I started the race a bit too fast.  I think if I'd been smarter, I could've squeeze out even more in the last mile.
Remember for next time: The first mile is the hardest.  Don't be an idiot.
Bonus: Ask me about the cupcake at the end.
My first race of 2018 was super cold and windy, so there's a nice symmetry with the conditions of this race. 

No comments:

Post a Comment