16.9.18

Loony Challenge 4 Weeks to Go

Weekly Miles Planned: 35 Miles
Actual: 33.5 Miles.  The perfectionist in me is bothered by this, but the healthier part of my brain is fine with it.

Long Run Miles Planned: 10-12 Miles
Actual:: 10.96 Miles on Sunday morning

Sunday Planned: 6-10 Miles at MAF, Sunday Kettlebell Workout, Sunday Abs
Actual:
Run - 10.96 miles, same route as my last long run, though a touch faster than last time
Sunday Kettlebells - done; I used at 12kg bell for squats and high pulls, and started with a 6kg bell for overhead press, and then moved to an 8kg bell for 4,3,2,1 sets
Abs - also done.  Then I lay on the floor and stretched for a while.
From today, I learned: Run: I can go a bit harder and last the distance.
Weights: I am strong enough for the 8kg, though it's always gonna be harder after a long run
Bonus learning from today: I'm re-reading Mind Gym and the author says he challenges the athletes he works with to think in their training about what they can learn to be better tomorrow.  That's how this bullet got added to my training logs.

Monday Planned: 6-10 Miles at MAF, Plyos
Actual: 7 Miles Run around Baker Park Reserve. My 'finisher' today was running up the big hill at the end instead of walking.  This was a well done run.  I went 'harder' but had stuff left in the tank too.  A solid effort for the day.
From today, I learned: The hills weren't as bad as I thought.
Look about at the ground, about six feet ahead on the hill, don't look at the top
My hill mantra is 'pick up my knees and fly away' or 'fly' for short

Tuesday Planned: 4-6 Miles at MAF, Lift Weights
Actual:
Run 5.31 Miles in the morning. Easy.
Weights: Tuesday weights.  Including I did 2 sets of squats at 80lbs (bar + 17.5lbs on each side), and 1 set at 75lbs. I didn't think I could do the heavier weight, but then I tried it and it was okay, so I tried it for a second set.
From today, I learned: Running - I was looking at 'paces' from last year and realized I need to calm my shit down, becuase my heart rate training is in a lot different place from last year, like running solidly at lower heart rates than I could last year.
Also, easy days easy.

Wednesday Planned: 1 Mile Run
Actual:4.53 miles of trail running. This was completely not at MAF.  The last part of it was all out and super fun.
From today, I learned: I can push hard focusing on effort, not pace. Push hard and let the run flow.

Thursday Planned: 4-6 Miles at MAF, Lift Weights
Actual: 1.21 Miles in the morning.  Weights will not be today.
From today, I learned: Get up and get it done!

Friday Planned: 1 Mile Run
Actual: 1.3 Miles on the treadmill
Thursday weights.  For some reason overhead press were crazy hard this morning.
From today, I learned: How to enter weight reps into Carb Manager. How does it not have 'overhead press' as an exercise?  Nor the assisted pull up machine.

Saturday Planned: 4-6 Miles at MAF, Plyos
Actual: 3.25 Miles in the crazy hot weather.  3 minutes 'finisher' at the end.  This 72* is from 8am before I even headed out to run.
From today, I learned: I need to think about my long run tomorrow.  Like, what do I want to get out of this long run and how can I accomplish those goals in the heat? Because it was hot today and it's going to be at least as bad tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment