10.9.17

Long Run Sunday - Fun Run!

Plan: Running should be fun.  This should be fun.  Have fun.  PS - don't look at the watch.  Warm up, run at least 10 miles, cool down.


Route: This is my "thank god the roads are all open again" route from last year.  (Maybe I should really name it that?)  Ironically one side of Franklin Ave bridge was in fact closed to pedestrians, so I had to use the north side today, but it was early enough that crossing the streets was no big deal.

Weather: Low 60s and humid.  There was no wind to start but it kicked up out of the southeast around mile 4 or 5.  That was fine with me.

Wardrobe: NikePro shorts, reflective shirt, visor, compression socks and Green Silence shoes.  I'm realizing now exactly how many races I've run in these shoes.  They are getting to the end of their mileage.

Execution: This was a really solid run.  There was a moment where I realized that I was going harder than I normally go, but I wasn't hurting.  And I hung onto that feeling as much as I could in the run.   Hard but not hurting.  I can keep going at this pace. I practiced 'belly breathing' up the hills, and I did run up all the hills including the Sabo bridge at the end. I also practiced what I'm going to say to myself on race day while I'm climbing.  'Pick up your knees' because that seems to be what gives me the best form up the hill.

Nutrition: Little bit of a failure on this one.  I had half an avocado, salted, before I left the house. I know now that this will not be my race day food.  Because it felt like I had rocks in my stomach 'till about mile 4.  No, um, distress.  It just didn't feel good.  I had a couple bites or Larabar and a couple sips of water along the way, but not much.


Bonus: Like last time, I'm writing all this before I've seen my paces and other stats for the run, so I'm feeling good.  I'll go look in a second, so I can pull some screen shots in for pictures on this blog.  For 'hard but not too hard' this looks good and I'll take it.
#2 - I'm about 40 pages into Mind Gym and was trying to apply some of the principles he talks about to this run.  Mostly focusing on the positive and what I want to do versus all the stuff that could go wrong.
#3 - I had a brief lifting session after this run, not my full 'Sunday' workout by any means.  I decided I'd just do the arm stuff plus single leg deadlifts for balance.  And then I had a nice stretch.

No comments:

Post a Comment