4.9.17

Long Run Monday - Get Used To It

Plan: Don't Look At the Watch!  I realized that the way I feel about now in my cycle is the way I'm going to feel on race day.  That means I need to get used to running while feeling like shit. 
Last night I re-read the part of this book that talks about nutrition during different parts of the cycle.  It says to take in protein before and immediately after a run.  And to pre-hydrate with a drink that has sodium in it.  Since I'd never tried a pre hydration drink, I popped a couple of salt tabs last night, and added a small amount of salt to my water this morning.  The only plan for the morning was DONT LOOK AT THE WATCH.  Just run by feel.  Since I'm going to feel like shit and the watch is going to show me numbers I don't like anyways, just run by feel.

Route: Ft Snelling Route.  This route is like comfort food.

Weather: Low 60s and fairly humid.  Partly sunny, but mostly cloudy for the run.  Light winds.  (They felt good at the end.)

Wardrobe: Nike shorts, tank top.  And my Green Silence shoes.  I'm thinking those shoes may be my race day shoes.

Execution: I'm writing this before having seen any of my garmin data including my paces for the run.  It felt really good to just go out and run and listen to my body.  I think I noticed more of the nature on the trail too.  I pushed hard (it felt hard but again, I may not like the numbers) and I was really tired at the end.

Nutrition: I carried 8oz or water and a Larabar.  I did start eating the bar quite early in the run.  Surprisingly that felt correct.  I wanted food earlier in the run, and the more I pushed on the less I wanted later.  I had one, um, stop around mile 8.5.  I'm not clear if that's related to popping salt tabs last night, or the salt in my water this morning, or if I would've had to stop no matter what. I think I would've had to stop.

Bonus: Ok, now looking at the Garmin data.  Remember before I said I felt good about the effort, and that I pushed it at the end. And I want to cry.  That was a really slow run. Pretty sure this race is gonna suck.  How the eff was I going that slow for such a high heart rate?!?  Oh yeah, this is horrible.  14's?  The whole way? Well at least I've got the easy pacing down, but how will I freaking go on race day?  Oh sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment