28.6.13

Medica Healthy Savings - I'll be watching

I just got this "healthy savings" card in the mail from my insurance company. Apparently, the idea of Healthy Savings is to give discounts on 'healthy foods'.  I'll be interested to see how it works.

Stores - The program only works at certain stores.  Cub Foods and Rainbow Foods are live and Lunds and Byerlys and in a 'coming soon' phase.  For the moment I'm ignoring the fact that subsidizing food of someone who can afford to shop at Byerly's is like giving Bill Gates a discount on his laptop.  It doesn't say if Medica is pursuing contracts with any other stores.  For myself, I'd love to see them add the co-ops (where there's legitimate healthy food).  Because I'm a social worker, I'd love to see them add Target and particularly Wal-Mart because many of the people I serve shop at those stores.

Food - Well, I mean, at least they're trying something.  I was a little disappointed there wasn't any "buy a cantaloupe for 15% off" or "buy one get one free heads of cauliflower" or "bananas 20% off" or something.  It's all food from manufactures that agree to participate in the program, or so it seems.  I was also disappointed there wasn't an emphasis on organic, or for the dairy at least rBST free dairy.  There are some interesting discounts.  Sadly, I don't really buy any of these items so i won't be able to get the benefit of purchasing 3 jars of peanut butter at once (a healthy habit all its own) and saving $1.50






What I'd Like to See Next
Farmer's Market bucks.   Blue Cross Blue Shield does have a program like this for members on certain plans and benefits.  It seems like the framework exists, so it would be nice to open this up to other insurance carriers and to all members, not just certain plans.  It'd be great for the members to get actual fresh food and it's a good way to support the local economy.
Add the Co-ops to the list of stores accepting the healthy savings card  Really, Target and Wal-Mart should be added, just because people buy lots of food there.  Heck, let's go whole hog and add Kowalski's too. Just because.
Start giving discounts on fresh fruits and vegetables.  Even the 'healthy' food I could get a discount on now is kind of weak.  Kefir has 20g of sugar per 1 cup serving.  The OJ served up under 'fruit' has 23g of sugar per 1 cup serving.  The Lean Cuisine on sale has 480mg of sodium, or 20% of the daily allowance.  I feel healthier already.
Discounts at healthy restaurants too  Birchwood Cafe, I'm looking at you.  There's a couple others that come to mind too.  Even Chipotle would be an interesting idea.  

No comments:

Post a Comment