24.3.13

Great Treadmill Workouts to Survive the Winter

Well there's a title I never thought I'd use.  I've never really tried to hide my feelings about the dreadmill.  Panic attacks is the word I use most frequently.  However, I just took a week 'off' running because of my ankle and needed to ease it back into use.  After seven days I was worried I'd go insane.  That was a real possibility.  Try finding an exercise that doesn't use your ankle.  I'm still not wanting to run outside because of the ice and snow, and also wanting to take some time off the track because of all the turns.  Guess what that leaves.

I've run more miles this week on a treadmill than on the road and track combined.  What?!?
I know there are lots of people who do tons of training miles on a treadmill.  I know because I read several of their blogs.  SkinnyRunner and The Hungry Runner Girl are two examples.  Hungry Runner Girl also shares my love of Brooks Shoes.  I so understand.  If you are one of those people, who can just be on the treadmill for ever and enjoy it - congratulations to you.  Keep it up.   For me, treadmill workouts have to be short.  The end of the workout must be in sight the entire time.  And I need a way to keep my mind busy, and my head entertained the entire time.

Things that make running on the treadmill more bearable:
  • Short workouts - these are mentally easier.  I tend to get the panic attacks from thinking "I have to keep up this pace for the next 45 minutes. Oh no."  Workouts between 1 and 3 miles are good for me.
  • Vary the speed - this helps break the workout into nice segments. Helps keep my mind occupied too, because I'm planning ahead for the next speed change.
  • The treadmill is not for every day.  The treadmill, like cookies, is a sometimes food.  One thing that helps me want to climb on from time to time is knowing I don't have to see it too often.
  • Plan something entertaining to watch and listen toThey don't have to be the same thing.  At my gym I can't see the televisions from the treadmills.  I look out the window.  Today (and yesterday) I watched cars drive around the parking lot for five and ten minutes looking for spaces.  I derrived more pleasure from that than was really appropriate..  I have some tried and true playlists for the iPod.  Noise isolating or noise cancelling headphones are a big plus here too.
  • Don't run in front of the mirror.  It's not a vanity thing.  It's a balance thing.   I need a fixed focal point, something that's not moving otherwise I get really unbalanced and kind of sea sick.  My first choice is always to run in front of the window, with the wall being my second choice.


Increasing speed workout.  Looks fun right?
Yasso 800s - I really let lose with the speed button there at the end, and that was more like a 1200.

Ideas for treadmill workouts:
  • Increasing speed workout - One of my favorite workouts on the treadmill is to do a bit of a walking warmup and then run for one mile.  I start at a reasonable speed and then tick up the speed 0.1 miles/hour for every .05 miles that I run.  The time goes by so fast.  I love letting my body feel what it's like to run 8:00 miles without the panic attack of "I have to keep this pace for how long?".
  • Yasso 800s - Todays workouts was Yasso 800s with a little variation. I increased the speed incrementally in a couple of the 800s, starting at the suggested pace and then picking it up.  Also, my 'recovery speed' was a little faster than technically suggested, but I only did five 800s so I think it's okay.
  • Run-walk intervals - I've always wanted to try this on a treadmill.  I haven't yet because I have a hard time transitioning between two speeds that a really different (like 3.5mph to 6.5 mph) because I'm always worried I'll fall down, especially if I'm not paying attention.  It'd be nice to have the walk recovery with the treadmill to help me really pick up the race during the run portions though.
  • Any workout with a really specific target speed.  "I want to run a 7:00 mile" or something.  Treadmills are perfect for this because it takes out all the guess work and helps your body keep a really consistent speed.



No comments:

Post a Comment