14.2.13

How to stay motivated - experienced runners

I had a post a few days ago about how new runners can stick with the habit, but things are way different for people who've been running a while.  We already know how to run, we feel okay at the gym and we even know how to use the equipment without risking injury.  But it's the middle of January, near record cold, there's ice everywhere and I just want to stay in bed.  I can take a break from running.  Right?  Here's a couple things that have kept me going this month.


Money - My plan for the year is $1,000 for 1,000 miles.  I was reading this post not so long ago.  I knew that plan wouldn't work for me because of the hefty amount of saving it would require for the last several paychecks of the year.  But I was all "I want to run 1,000 miles this year; I should just pay myself $1.00 for every mile I run."  So I started a new savings account; it has about $70.00 in it right now.  It's definitely been a motivator to go out and run, even the mile per day runs add to the total here.  There's some other things I might try, like giving myself an extra reward for making all of my workouts for the week, or running more miles than I'd planned whenever that actually happens



Race - I mean sign up for a race that costs money - going along with the "money" theme, I find once I'm financially invested in a race, I'm much more likely to put in the work for it.   Once I'm signed up for a race, then I can design my training plan.  These races are expensive and I want to get my money's worth.   (On a related note, I just signed up for the Flying Pig 3-Way Challenge, so I have training plans through May.)  Just paying the race fee wasn't quite enough to hold myself accountable for my first marathon, so I raised money for charity too.  There were points in training for my first marathon I thought "all these people donated money so now I really have to do this".  I actually ran a second marathon that way too.  Both raised money for Bolder Options which is a mentoring program and one of my favorite charities around.



Exercise Tracking Websites and Gadgets - and they are everywhere.  Sometimes just having the feeling of "I don't want Nike to tell me I missed a day of working out" or "I can subtract more calories if I run further which means junk food tonight" is enough to make me haul my butt out the door.
  • Nike+ is the tracking site I've used the longest.  It works with the Nike+ iPod kit, Nike+ GPS on a GPS enabled device, and there's about a billion other apps and gadgets there too.  The site keeps track of my runs, my pacing during the runs, even the weather and the shoe I was wearing. I've used this site forever and am honestly kind of reluctant to switch until I reach the "platinum" runner level with is another 1,200 miles away.  It's the highest level there is.
  • Endomondo is another awesome workout tracking app.  I love it because I can switch between running and walking and biking and about fifteen other sports.  The app works on any GPS enabled device.  The website has some great information too.  It can show the fastest segments of my workout, and some pretty specific pace data which I've found helpful.
  • LoseIt is a weight loss app.  It helped me to lose weight through exercise because it assigns calorie values to tons of different workouts and intensities.  Run faster: burns more calories.

Rewards Websites -like the sites that track exercise, there's some that go a step further and reward me for my work. I've only used the first site, Earndit.  I did some research for this post and found these other ones as well.
  • EarndIt is the only one of these sits I've used.  I've reviewed it before a well.  EarndIt definitely makes me want to track my workouts more.  I think it also makes me chose running over other types of workouts becuase I get more points for running than other types of workouts.  The site has a rewards preview page so you can see the rewards available before signing up that's more rare than you think. More importantly, EarndIt works with vendors and nonprofits.  If I don't see any coupons that appeal to me, I can donate some of my points to charity. Charities are also listed on the Preview page. They seem to change over time. 
  • Nexercise is an app that rewards workouts with discounts on merchandise (like EarndIt), and can track weight loss.  I looked on the GooglePlay store and their website to see if I could tell what vendors they work with for discounts but I could not.  Boo.
  • Gym Pact is another popular app where you commit to a number of workouts but putting money in the pot and saying you'll do them.  People who do the work get paid and those who slack off pay up.  Requires a phone with GPS and an account with RunKeeper for checking in.
  • CharityMiles is a great twist on the exercise rewards game.  Participants earn money for their charities by walking, running or biking.  I checked their webiste and did find a scroll of graphics for the charities they work with but nothing that just had a list.  (I'd write more about your site if the information was easier to find.)  It's basically national charities which may be appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment