22.2.13

Android to iPhone - additional thoughts

I wrote about the initial switch from Android to an iPhone (hello, I've missed you so much).  Here's some more thoughts.  FYI - I was running Android 2.2 (Gingerbread, which is quite old) and now running iOS6. 

iOS - let me tell you which contacts to always send straight to voice mail.   Android had a feature that let me send any contact directly to Voice Mail without the phone ringing.  iOS sadly does not.  I mostly used this when places would call me for donations and I wanted to ignore them without having to be rude or say no, but I'm sure we can all think of some other uses for this feature too.

iOS - would a "week view" on the calendar be too much to ask?  The calendar situation is kind of like, "you are known for graphics and elegant design and this is what you came up with?"  Apparently I just needed to turn the phone sideways.  Sigh.

Android - get a feature like 'photo stream'.  I know with Android/Google I could've linked to Picasa pretty easily but my free Picasa account is full from hosting pictures from this blog, so I didn't have the option unless I wanted to fork over more money.  I call shenanigans.

Android - I should really be able to take a screen shot without rooting my phone or paying mega bucks for some special app.  Boo.  Now you know why I have no screen shots for the android features I miss most.

Android - All phones should be able to receive software updates.  I hate that by the time I got rid of this phone, Android 4.2 was released, but my phone was stuck with 2.2 and no hope of ever getting an update.  For Android, it seems to be basically up to the phone manufacturer to roll out firmware updates and OS updates.  I got one update from Android 1.6 to Android 2.2.  After that, it was radio silence.

Android - for the love of all that is holy, figure out how to sync music between my computer and my phone.

I think in general I'm much happier having my phone and my computer have (essentially) the same operating system.  I very much miss my operating system being so well integrated with a web based email/calendar client (Google - sigh). 

No comments:

Post a Comment