20.11.12

Cyclists - what to wear in cold weather

There's tons of articles for cyclists on what to wear in cold weather.  This one is my favorite because it includes illustrations.  As a runner I'm fairly familiar with the craziness that comes from being out in the cold for prolonged periods.  I wasn't sure if "I know how to dress for a long cold run" would really translate to biking.  Some things do, like anything that is wind resistant is good.  Some things don't translate as well.  My core always gets colder biking than it does running.

The most important advice I learned about biking is this: wear glasses to protect your eyes from the wind, even if it's not sunny out, or even if you're riding at night.  Even though it's the opposite of what this guy says in his article. The writer is correct that the glasses can fog up, but I've only found that to be true when I stop for long periods of time, longer than a stop light.  As someone who wears contact lenses, I've found riding glasses to be invaluable to my prolonged comfort.  The glasses in this picture were ones a cyclist dropped and I picked up on a trail with Running Beth over the summer.  They are actually clear glasses that I can only assume are polarized.  (I think I found like a $60 pair of glasses.  In my defense, they were pretty much abandoned.  It's a popular bike trail where we were but there were no bikers around to even ask if they'd dropped these.)  I've done several rides with them.  Also, it helps if you smirk in any picture you take of yourself.  Serious.

No comments:

Post a Comment