10.10.12

Post Marathon Run - My Knee!

I went on my first post-marathon run.  The thing about post-marathon runs is they always feel good.  It's not until a day or two later when you're all "what the crap is wrong with me?"  Today was the same.  I felt better the longer I was out there.  The first few minutes my IT band was quite tender from the massage yesterday and my knee kept giving out.  WTF is that about? 

Most marathon recovery plans say to take off the entire week after the marathon.  Most marathon recovery plans don't know I'm the captain of Team:Work and exceptions have to be made.  Tonight was week four of the Couch Potato plan, also known as "the week I can tell if you're doing your workouts or not".  I slightly modified the intervals to fit in with some stop lights that are long and unavoidable, but it was basically run 3:00, walk 1:30, run 5:00, walk 3:00 and people did well.  Kelly even let me race her in the last block.  (I totally won but the whole was I was thinking "Recovery!  I shouldn't be doing this.)

It was a nice night for a run, starting to get more chilly but not yet miserable to be outside.  We did our regular 'along the river' route which involves a pretty big hill.  That I made everyone run up.  I wonder what week we should do the Montreal hill....
Also next week I need to talk to everyone about dressing for running in the cold.  Like, a sweatshirt is nice  but you will get hot if you run in it.  You will get it sweaty.  Just be okay with that.

I threatened one runner that if she didn't run on her own before the next workout I'd know it and kick her ass next week.  That just means I'll make her run fast for a painfully long time.  Then another Team:Work colleague explained to her how to think about goals and set one, like "I'm going to workout at least 30 minutes at least twice before next Wednesday" instead of "I'll do a couple of runs sometime".  Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment