31.7.12

Vacation Wednesday - Black Canyon and a fear of heights

Fear of heights seems to be a hereditary thing in my family, much like the distaste of tomatoes.  I don't have it quite as bad as my dad or some of my aunties.  At least it's fair to say I don't have it that bad yet.  I think Dad was still pretty traumatized by the drive out of Mesa Verde and was just done driving so when we got to the canyon, I took over.  I'm still not clear on why someone with a fear of heights wanted to visit cliff dwellings or a canyon but I'm sure there were reasons.  My mother on the other hand, is completely fearless at all heights and altitudes.  It's pretty special.

 
We took the "rim drive" which is really not too close to the rim.  At the top we had lunch.  Then we found a nature trail, also not too entirely close to the rim but with some astounding views.  Dad didn't want to come along so he sat and worked on a painting while Mom, Marge, the Qat Lady and I took our hike.


Mom and I also spent some time looking at the Scenic Lookouts.  Dad stayed in the car.  Black Canyon was ultimately a pretty cool trip and I really liked it.  It was nice to spend some time with Mom.  Another nice moment was with Dad and went like this:
Me: Do you want me to drive your car?
Him: Yes.
Me: You can ride in my car or with Qat Lady and Marge.
Him: I want to ride with you.

Super nice because Dad is a fairly fussy passenger, although much less kinetic than Qat Lady.
 

We went to a place called the Camp Robber for dinner. After which, we stopped at Target and then a liquor store so we could finally enjoy the local brews in Colorado.  Win for us.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment