9.7.12

Should I have Ice Cream or Beer After My Long Run?

I had a fantastic run today.  I had an otherwise okay day as well.  I watched Tour De France (Go Bradley Wiggins), I worked a short day and had Japanese (Tanpopo) for dinner.

Wake up - Why is 5:45am so early?  It was 70* and 65% humidity.  (Man up; the marathon was hotter than this.)  I had a granola bar and got my stuff together.  Food was 1 gu pack and 1 pack of Gu Chomps.  One pack of chomps is actually *two* servings.  Try to stay with me.

RUN!  I had a new route in mind and I really enjoyed it.  This was a great route because I knew what to expect (and how not to get lost) from biking but there were some surprises, especially along Lake Cedar.  New routes are always fun the first time.  The biggest revelation is that Lake Cedar (already becoming a favorite) has true pedestrian trails that are quite separate from the bike paths.  So separate that even Google Maps didn't know about them, so the mileage on this route is not quite perfect.  (I'll deal.)



I had a recent change in marathons (from Dublin to Twin Cities).  I needed to move marathon training, or long runs at least, up a bit to get on the right track for Twin Cities which is about a month earlier.  Originally I had been scheduled for 10 but thinking 11 and needed to boost that to about 14 or 15.  The plan was to do a long run of 10-12 miles and Galloway the rest of the run.  

Long run - 11 miles.  This was a perfect run.  I just felt good.  I was able to keep a solid steady pace, but not too fast or too frustratingly slow.  I finished what I thought was 11 miles in around 2:20:00 (allowing for a few minutes walking at the beginning and some stop lights along the way) and was encouraged when I came home and realized it was probably more like 11.5 miles when I stopped.  Thank you to High Intensity Water Running here; I can feel it paying off.  I felt like I had better form and better control which are things I learned in class.  Part 1 looked like this.  The two spikes are around food break times (which involved taking the Camelbak off) and I basically got faster the whole run.  Nice.



Galloway - all the way back home.  I learned that I should just put on my big girl pants and actually use the Interval training program on my iPod (which doesn't always play nice with Nike+ so I didn't feel like it) because I didn't have clear goals for run/walk times around the lakes.  In the neighborhoods there are some easy land marks and ways to be consistent (run 2 blocks, walk 1) that don't exist on the lakes.  I also learned I should have a better hydration plan in the long run, especially early on.  By this time I was gulping water down.  I kept waiting for it to upset my stomach but it didn't.  I should've hydrated better in the beginning and then I wouldn't have had this issue.  Here's what part 2 looked like:



Ice Bath - my own personal nemesis.  I was so excited today I broke one of my ice holders.  Oops.  I did some stretches at home and also took a walk around the block to get some of the crap out of my muscles.  When I got home from work I took a second walk and did some more stretches.  I have what I'll call a recovery run tomorrow with Herself, the birthday girl.

Food - I had some good food today; probably not enough.  I was debating eating a second dinner (not quite Fourth Meal, but almost) when I learned that in moderation, beer is just as good as water for post run hydration.  Instead of ice cream I'm having my calories in liquid form.  (Really, it was the only choice because I can't write and eat ice cream at the same time and I wanted to chat with you all.)

Music - The other thing that made this run so great was a playlist of almost completely new (new to me) music.  I found some running play lists on the internet and went a little crazy.  Here are some of my new, soon to be favorites.
 






No comments:

Post a Comment