14.5.12

Sunday Runs - Sprints in the Heat

Sunday is "speed" day.  (I use that term loosely.)  I read about a speed workout on someone else's blog.  (Ask me which one.)  I wanted to try it because it can be done outside and does not require a track.

As I remember it, the workout goes like this:
  • 1 mile warm up
  • 0:30 RUN.  This girl did like 6:30 miles for the sprints.
  • 1:30 jog it out.
  • Repeat for a total distance of 1-2 miles, or a total number of times.
  • Cool down.
For you non-runners that reads as "30 second run" and "1 minute and 30 second jog".

Highlights from my soundtrack today include:


For an interval run, as with all things, there's an app for that.

The 1:18 is how long left in the interval when I stopped the workout.  The whole workout took me the 46:42 (elapsed time).  I nearly threw up at the end.  Could have been heat related.  Boo.


I'm not sure if it was my poor pacing on the 'fast runs' or the heat, or that this workout is really harder than it seems, but I had to modify a little, just so I didn't sit down and cry in frustration.  What I wound up doing was the all out sprint, then walking for about half the 'jog' interval, then jogging the rest of the interval and sprinting again.  Even with walking, it didn't take me that long as was fun.  I can still feel it in my abs.

I needed to be outside today because it was gorgeous at Lake Nokomis.  Sadly, it was also mother's day and totally freaking insane.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment