21.4.12

An unexpected fit of cleaning

10:00pm is a great time to start cleaning right?  In this house, any time I have the energy is when it gets done.  I knew that I needed to load the dishwasher and run it tonight.  Somehow that turned into so much more.

I cleaned out all the old food from the refrigerator and wiped the goo from all the shelves.  Refrigerator is now very empty.  You see the only real fresh food produce is the strawberries.  There are two kiwi that are not pictured.


The mammoth project of the night was cleaning out the freezer.  It's no secret that anything I cook gets put into single portion containers and frozen.  And sometimes, forgotten about shortly afterwards.  So much frozen food.  I found some old potato soup (when did I ever make that?), some lentil sausage soup that's too spicy to eat, and a lot of couscous salad.  Couscous salad freezes fine.  I haven't found the proper method of re-heating it.  I think I need to add a bit of water when I microwave it maybe?  Probably why it never gets eaten.
 
Two bags of trash later, the freezer is very empty.  Half of what's in there is frozen water in case I ever take another ice bath.  Not pictured is the freezer door full of frozen berries (majorly on sale at the co op)

Dishwasher Tetris - Level 99.  (How does spell check not recognize Tetris as a word?)  It's full from all the tupperware I liberated from my freezer.  I actually made a point of starting the dishwasher while I was awake just because it's so full I want to be able to hear if anything goes terribly sideways.
 

I hand washed some dishes that either wouldn't fit or can't go into the dishwasher, wiped down the counters and swept the floors.  Then I re-organized my towel and napkin drawer because it was sorely in need. 

After the kitchen was done, cleaning the rest of the place was a breeze.  I even folded and put away laundry that had been on the drying rack since last Sunday.  (Like a good Kentucky woman, I leave my drying rack out all the time.)  I did not vacuum.  I figured I was probably treading on my neighbor's patience already with all the noise from banging around in the kitchen.  Running a vacuum at 12:30am was probably a little too much.

Now the house is clean.  Below is a - well, it was explained to me but doesn't translate well to the blog.  I was told it can go on any door in my house and it's a blessing.  A friend got it for me when she was in Isreal.  The same friend got me my plant, Sprout for my 27th birthday.


Nice clean kitchen.  The stove and counter-top is almost never empty.  The stove usually has at least a kettle on it.  The counter almost always has a cutting board as a permanent fixture.  I went all out.

Dishwasher is running great so far.  It's been on for a while and sounding perfectly normal so I'm assuming we're all systems go in there.
 

I'll leave you with some music that became my theme songs for cleaning tonight:









No comments:

Post a Comment