30.12.11

Cincinnati Christmas - Day 4: Grocery Shopping

I couldn't possibly go a day without shopping.  Today was no exception, although the subject matter was slightly different than the past few days.

730am Why did I think I was going to get up and run?  Turned the alarm off, went back to sleep.

830ish I got up and searched for fuel for the day.  Sadly, there was no bacon.  Maybe shopping would've been better with bacon?

930am Whole Foods sucks!  Sorry.  That was just my reaction.  Apparently I am spoiled by my little co-ops where I can reliably find *organic* produce.  Your name is "Whole Foods".  It shouldn't be *this hard* to find an organic grape or two.

A few minutes later - trying again at Kroger  That was really much better.  I sort of hate shopping at Kroger.  Putting the "all natural" stuff in the organic section is a lie!  Although this morning I was liking that these really big grocery stores do make some effort to have some kinds of certified organic produce, dairy and eggs because I could find most of what I wanted.  Organic limes but not lemons.  I wouldn't have cared except the recipe calls for eating the zest.  Where the farmers put all the pesticides.

Shopping with Dad was a basically positive experience although one year I think I should just have Mom load the gift card and let me go alone.  Mom describes Dad as "a rusher".  I had a similar experience.  He likes to cook but has no concept of how foods go together.  Because he lacks that basic understanding, he also fails to understand why I'm such a fuss pot about the kinds of crackers that will go best with blue cheese and all kinds of other ingredients.  Trust me.
Look at all those things we bought.  It wasn't even "a record" because the only meat I bought at all was bacon.  Imagine if there was a turkey!
That vague look of dread.  What is Dad doing?  Kroger was packed but apparently not nearly as bad as the cashiers were expecting later in the day.  Everyone was basically pretty nice while running into each other with our carts.

Lunch I finally got my first taste of this chicken.  I could see the oil oozing out of it you know that can't be bad.  It was great.

Wrapping presents with Mom Found a second use for the super-tall, or as I'm now calling it, "Time the Tool-man" sized wrapping paper.  Decided not to get Dad a restaurant gift certificate because I've seen everything else he was to unwrap.  Wow!

RUN!  I think I've mentioned a couple of times that my legs are stronger because of Circuit Class, Pilates and Water Running.  That means I move faster and my cardio vascular system protests by trying to kill me.  Today was all about pacing because there's so many hills on this run.  Running down the hills was all about "opening up the hips" as my Water Running instructor says.  Those hills are a bear to run up but so damn fun to run down.  Have I told you I'm still toying with running the full Flying Pig?

 

Jazzercise because I love my mother.  I'll deny it later, but the "dancing" is finally starting to click just a little bit.  I did not like how this girl did "core" work though.  Boo.
 

Dinner - Bangkok Bistro.  We had the eternal "take-out vs eat-there" discussion.  I almost always prefer take out and Dad likes to be waited on.  Mom doesn't really care.  I won today.  It probably didn't hurt that Dad had two beers after tennis and was pretty mellow. 
I always get the "Siam Noodles" which are supposedly "Pad See Ew".  I've had Pad See Ew in Minneapolis at several restaurants.  This dish can't be replicated.  I think maybe they put crack in it or something.  Yum!  We also spent some time strategizing about numbers of plates and bowls, table arrangements for 8 to sit in one place and cleaning.

Laundry - I forgot to wash my jeans which was a motivating factor for doing laundry at all.  Fail!  I'm sure someone else will have a load the jeans can go in.  The button keeps falling off my jeans.  Sucks.  I wonder if I can buy a new blue jeans button at Jo Ann's.  My Pooky Bear would know.
This book is in the basement next to the laundry machine it's a weird setup and I read it to my mom every Christmas.  ... this one has a little start, this one has a little car....

No comments:

Post a Comment