20.11.11

if by "two inches of snow" you meant "ice everywhere"

Saturday was the first measurable snow of the year.  It topped out around two inches at my place and I just stayed inside all day.  (And taught Dad how to use Skype!)

When I finally emerged from my cocoon this morning, there was snow covering some things but really a lot of ice.  On the sidewalk.  In my parking lot.  In the road.  I saw a plow/salt truck driving by but it wasn't salting or sanding anything.  Boo. I was thinking if Minneapolis looks this bad, I wonder how St Paul is doing.
 

Once I got my bearings and remembered how to drive in this crap, I headed over to my farmer's market - Holiday Market edition because it will truly be the last time I get awesome bacon until next May 20 when the farmer's market opens for real.  (Stupid short growing season in Minnesota.)

I decided to try to hardboil the remaining eggs I purchased from the co-op this week.  I can't remember the last time I've even tried to make hardboiled eggs.  For some reason, I always screw it up.  I'll refer you back to this post as a reminder that I'm generally a good cook but some processes elude me.  I don't know how this batch turned out.  I'm hoping they will be my food for Wednesday when I'll need all the protein I can get.

I spent a fair chunk of the day updating my 'running log'. (What else was I going to do?  All my sports teams lost and I finished my book yesterday.) 
If you're keeping track 'my teams' playing today were the Bengals (Cincinnati), the Vikings (Minnesota) and The Purple Aces (Evansville) whom I track because my cousin is a coach there.
 
I keep a speadsheet of my workouts, mostly becuase I need something to tell me how many miles I need to run each week, how many miles is my long run, and how many weeks to the marathon.  I was having a hard time finding a way to reflect my new and improved cross training routine (thanks to Circuit, Pilates and High Intensity Water Running).  My plan is to record minutes of cross training and type of cross training.  I also want to get back on the weight-loss bandwagon so I wanted a way to track weight and calories.  It looks good for day one.
Here's what it looks like for week one, day one.  Not all the boxes are filled in because I'm not quite to the point where I can post how many calories I've eaten today and how much I weight. 

Marathon - yes, I've picked a new marathon and also volunteered to lead a trip to get there?!?  (Honestly I had to pick a race or designing my new workout spreadsheet would've been for nothing.)  Ask me about Dublin people!

Sadly, even Facebook recognizes how hard it is to winter train.  Thanks Nike Running. 
 
To begin my new marathon training (remember when I swore I was done with this), I headed over to the gym for some 'speed work'.  I did a "pyramid interval".  I ran 2 laps, walked 1 (we'll call it 'recovery'), ran 3 and walked 1, ran 4 and walked 1, ran 5 and walked 1, then 4 and 1, 3 and 1, 2 and 1.  6 laps is a mile at my gym.  (Yes, our indoor track is that big).
 As always, higher means "faster" not uphill.

I had some really good running music to get me through the workout.  The better the beat, the more I liked the songs.  Here were some of my favorites in the rotation today:

  • O.A.R. - HeavenI don't wanna go to heaven if I can't get in.
  • Rihanna - S and M(I am done linking to that video.  Just listen to the song instead.)
  • Fatboy Slim - Praise YouWe've come a long long way together.  I always imagine my shoes and my iPod when I hear that line.

No comments:

Post a Comment