29.7.11

Friday exercise Insantiy

As you probably know by now, it's hot.  As you also probably know, I am a heat wimp and don't do well running in this business.
Today I needed a really long run.  Twenty miles was scheduled and that was my goal but I knew I might have to be okay with 18 instead.  For my own sanity.
I went to the gym, originally planning on running on the track, then the treadmill, then finishing with a couple hours on the elliptical.  I took one look at the track and decided I couldn't face it for a vague goal of 'running for a while'.  Then I got on the treadmill.  And had a panic attack.  No.  Seriously.  So I decided to make it three hours on the elliptical; the only thing I knew I could stand.  I did manage to move 18 miles and then had a nice stretch afterwards.

More thoughts from the workout:
  • It was nice not to get sick.
  • Sadly, I wore the pink shoes (because I thought I'd have done more running) and that was perhaps my biggest mistake of the day.
  • Treadmills are only for speed workouts.
  • The humidity inside was pretty impressive too.
  • The indoor track: still the pit of despair.  I couldn't even walk around it and stretch when I was done.
  • Post run meal - I badly wanted seafood.  I so rarely crave seafood that I almost always make accommodations when I do.  I got shrimp from Kowalski's and poached it with a bit of butter and capers.
  • I really miss running outside.  Monday was the only day this week, the only day in the past several weeks actually, that I'd made it out to run outside.
  • Dangerous thought I had today: (Knowing that Team:Work is training for the Dreidel Dash 10K this year.)  "If we get enough people on Team:Work to run a 10K, they could do the Minneapolis Marathon relay and I could run the whole marathon along side them.  What?  There's pacers.  With some training maybe...

No comments:

Post a Comment