2.5.11

Cincinnati Wednesday - Tornadoes and horses and Alicia; Oh my!

Since I'm tapering (ha!) I got to sleep in the morning.  I woke up late and had cereal with Mom.  I don't know what came over me but I turned the television on.  There was a line of storms moving through Kentucky just south of Cincinnati.  I lost count after the ninth time in two minutes that I heard the word tornado.  We should have a drinking game for this: 'tornado' - one drink; 'rotation' - one drink; 'hail' - one drink; "where's the lightning?" - Chug.  I would've won too because meteorologist on two stations asked that question.  (Is the radar malfunctioning?  There's no lightning?)

Everyone swore that the rain would be over by post time.  Mom and I packed into the car and drove to pick up Dad.  It was United Way day at Keeneland.  Since all three of us work with or in organizations that are funded by United Way, it seemed like a good use of our time.



We had reserved seats. A lot of people from Dad's office and a couple of the other office locations came. I knew a few people but not many. It was also my first time at Keeneland. I did not gamble. Sorry. I did like it when they walked the horses through the paddocks for everyone to see. Fancy.


The weather was, um, well. When we got there it was so sunny dad had his shades on.  (After the first line of tornadoes came through.)

That didn't last long though. It started to rain after the third or fourth race. We were in the covered grandstand. The track is called 'poly track' meaning it's no longer dirt; it's those ground up crushed up old tires. It's not dangerous to the horses when wet so they run races in most conditions.



After the races I had to drive Dad's car back to Cincinnati. In the rain. With a bunch of big trucks on the road. (I'll get over it I'm sure.) Then I split up with my parents and went to go see the other Bat Girl herself. For some reason I always forget that her boyfriend is a chef. I always love it when I remember. He made us a lovely dinner. We had Grater's for dessert.

Now I'm home contemplating the weather for tomorrow. (Will it be dry enough for one last run?)

No comments:

Post a Comment