2.5.11

Cincinnati Friday - in which I need some time alone and there will be no water

Friday was always going to be the day of this trip that killed me.  And so it was.
My mom, who is also a social worker, wanted me to come to a CEU event at her School of Social Work.  And so I traveled back in time, much farther back than even the five years this blog lasts...

I wound up catching a ride with a family friend, also a social worker, whom I have known my entire life. Let the time travel begin. While there I saw another family friend who also knew me my entire life and has lived in the same house as me for most of my life as well.  (It was a two family house where I grew up.)  It was also quite odd to be on UC's campus where I spent three years earning a bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice.  (Did I mention I am a geek?)  I assure you, it felt like much longer.



For lunch, Mom wanted me to eat Subway (bleh!) with her and the two previously mentioned family friends. Thinking about Subway made me feel like ish so I headed in the direction of a Chipotle I remembered from my college days. I got distracted on the way by an Indian take out place I knew from even before my college days. Best. Lunch. Ever. Jasmine rice. I could have more right now.

The afternoon presenters were an improvement over the morning and the day went on more quickly after lunch. We hit a traffic jam on the way out of the parking garage and my chauffeur *ahem* family friend was fit to be tied. (Oh what a mess. This is just awful. I'm going to time it.) Hilarious. Have I mentioned I love to watch drama like this and see how it unfolds. I'm the least comforting social worker I know. (I'm too busy trying to figure out what you're going to do next to calm you down.)

I did get a few minutes of time to myself before Dad got home and started being nervous about being on time for the play. Mom came home and started being nervous about something else. This wouldn't be a big deal to a normal person but I get nervous (in hell basically) about their being nervous so it's pretty awful. (Maybe why I live five states away?)

We headed over to pick up my Uncle (mom's brother). I swear when he got in the car I could already smell alcohol on his breath. Not that he was drunk. It just bothered me for some reason. I don't have much of a relationship with Uncle anymore. I used to see him every weekend when I was little and then I just got older and grew apart from him and his kid (Cousin). Uncle will come out and cheer at 5:00am for the Flying Pig race. In the rain. Just 'cause it's something to do and he likes it. So that's cool.

Then we arrived at the Playhouse in the Park. Mom and Dad wanted to get dinner over there. Nothing on the menu looked good. (It was slim picking to be sure.) So I settled for a cookie and a beer. I was mercifully full from lunch still.



We saw Behind the Eye which is easily one of the best shows I've seen there. (I've seen quite a few so that's really saying something.) I also told Mom I think I like this theater better than the Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis. I still like the Guthrie. I just think Playhouse in the Park picks better stories to tell and tells the stories better. (Sorry.)

Mom and Dad got a notice that the water would be off from 6:00pm to 10:00pm. (No problem right? We'll be gone all that time.) We got home at 10:30pm and the water was still off. Mom started freaking out. (I wish I would've put more water in pitchers. You drink like two ounces of water a day anyways.) At 10:45pm I called Waterworks. Ma'am, I do apologize. They were trying to get the water back on and had a second problem. They are working on it. 11:15pm and still no water. Remember that time I lived in Africa? I think I am the least concerned person in the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment