23.2.11

Vacation - Getting there and day 1: The drama continues

The drama goes like this...

1pm Thursday - First voice mail alert from Delta that my flight is delayed.  Supposed to leave at 7pm, now leaving at 8:30.

1:30pm or so - Delta calls me again to inform me my flight will leave at 9:30pm and get into Cincinnati at The Middle of the Night. 

That information ultimately proved helpful because I had enough time to get all of my work done before leaving town.  (All of the work that should have been done before leaving town; it's not an emergency to me just because someone else uses that word.)

I had a nice dinner with neighbor Steve at Tanpopo (why would anyone have a restaurant and not keep it open on Sundays btw?) and then he dropped me at the airport around 8pm.  Only one security checkpoint (of the usual 6) was open.  Why was no one in the black diamond lane?  The 'casual traveler' lane was packed.  I got right through, although I was body scanned.

The drama continued...
the moment I got through security, 8:05pm and saw the departure board list my flight as both "on time" and "boarding".  WHAT?!?  A frantic dash to the gate later... the departure board was in error.  Big time.  The plane taking me to Cincinnati hadn't even arrived at the MSP airport yet.  Thanks Delta for the mild heart attack.

1230am my parents rescued me from the airport in Dad's new spaceship hybrid Toyota Camry which was pretty fun.

I woke up this morning and hung out. 

Why is it so early?


Dad and I went to Portsmouth to see Gramma and got there around lunch time.
Drama was ongoing
After lunch when we went to see a retirement community in Portsmouth.  Gramma has toyed with the idea of living there.  She has a good friend who just moved in and her friend gave us a tour.



Drama continued
After the tour when Dad and I heard even more of Gramma's thoughts on moving to Hillview, leaving her home, and so on.  Drama.

My family should recognize this...


Drama stopped on the way back to Cincinnati. 
I had Thai food for dinner and am immensely happy to be on vacation.  Especially when I see it's 55* in Cincinnati and 24* with a wind chill of 11* at home.  Did I tell you about all the sunshine here? 
Look, I have a shadow on something that is not snow!
Somewhere in the Appalachian foothills.  Somewhere with big skies and lots of sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment