14.2.11

Ice Dam Sunday

To understand my day Sunday, you can watch this video while you read on (or for those of you reading this via facebook, go here for a listen)


Sunday morning I woke up uncomfortably early to go for a run with the St Paul girls.  It was more like "Liz chases the St Paul girls because they're too fast for me" but a good time nonetheless.  (Winter has been rough for training.)  We saw Lake Nokomis, Lake Hiawatha and Mel-o-glaze.  For some reason none of us actually got donuts.

After the run I had a full pot of coffee.  (Win for Sundays!)

About half way into my pot of coffee, neighbor Steve called and said "is there a leak in your condo because the roof is leaking in the laundry room right next to where your unit starts".  Oh fail!
Can you see the puddle?  It's pretty prolific.
So I got an introduction to ice dams (I just want to finish my coffee) from Steve.  The basic theory is that snow and ice stay frozen around the drains but snow and ice melt in other places.  The melted water cannot flow down into the drain normally so it goes all kinds of other crazy places.  Then bad things happen.
Believe it or not, this wasn't the ice dam that actually caused the problem.  The ice dam that caused the problem was so unimpressive that it's not even worth the picture.
Doesn't it look like he's teaching me something right there?  Explaining the structure of the ice dam perhaps?  (He was really just trying to break the sucker up with a garden trowel.)
I'm so grateful for neighbor Steve that I'm adding to my blog here.  The leak in the laundry room was pretty profound but I can't see anything inside my unit.  (Doesn't mean water didn't do crazy things, but I'm happy not knowing right now.)

After the ice dam experience I went and made breakfast.  (It was lunch at that point.)  Then I did my usual Sunday thing of sacking out on my couch.  (Aren't long naps on the weekends just the greatest?)  I never really woke up from said nap although my eyes were open most of the afternoon.  I talked to my parents a little at night and then went to bed for real.

No comments:

Post a Comment