20.11.10

Marathon training - week 1

Why?  Why?  Why?

I have no idea what I was thinking.  Yes I do.  I was thinking, "training for a marathon will make me not gain back all the weight I lost, it will keep me from getting migraines, and generally keeps me from getting sinus infections.  Still, why?

This week was an easy week because I feel like crap.  Not sick though, this was an expected 'feel like crap' week.  Whoopee!

Thursday night I went to bed at 8:00pm and couldn't figure out why I was so tired.  Oh, that's why!  Friday I worked a sort of shorter day, came home and took serious pain pills.

This morning I had to leave the house because there's not really food in it.  I couldn't find my ibuprofen (how does one loose that?) so I was in a ton of pain.  I needed to eat to avoid other issues so I went to the co-op and loaded up on bacon, eggs, coffee and cheese.  The only things that looked good to me.  Side note - why does Mississippi Market have so many things I want that Seward Co Op does not?  I'm not driving to St Paul for this crap today.  A little light from heaven shown down for just a moment on the fresh Passion Fruit SWEET! that Seward had in stock.  Likely for today only.  I bought a couple.  I knew heaven wanted something to go right for me today.

After breakfast and sleeping for a while, I was starting to feel better.  Some friends were planning on running this afternoon and I was feeling well enough to join them.  Oh look, it's 21* outside.  What the hell am I going to wear?  I conferenced with Chris for a while on clothing (sorry, wool is waaay too hot for this) before deciding.  Ultimately I chose polypro long johns (need another pain, these things rock), Nike Cold Weather running pants, REI Polypro top and a jacket.  When I went outside I opted for an additional shirt on top. Socks were wool with sock liners.  This is more for me than any of you.  Dressing to run in the winter is an art form.

I headed over to St Paul to see the girls.  I hadn't seen Heather in quite a while, not since the Sunday before last so it was good to remember what she looked like.  I think I actually hadn't seen Robin for a run in even longer, although she was at Margarita night last Monday.  The best part of the run was when it was finished yeah, I hurt that bad and I was doubled over in pain.  I could see all three of them coming over to help me and I was all, "you stay over there".  So sweet.  (I would've hurt just as bad lying on the couch so isn't it better that I went for a run?) 

On Heather's advice I stopped at a liquor store for some beer on the way home, "well, that'll relax you and you won't hurt as bad".  I'll let you know.

The running gear, btw, was the perfect outfit for that weather.  I wish I had a second top with a zipper that could go under my jacket.  Christmas present perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment