24.6.10

Desperately overdue to...

I got a new phone this week. The only way you'd know is that I haven't really written anything because I'm too busy getting to know the new phone. Sorry.

Why'd I get a new phone? I Went to Austin and got lost everywhere I tried to go. That's not true. We got totally lost the first two places we tried to go while someone else was driving and then I learned that I had to study the map before I went anywhere. And the going route is different than the returning route thanks to a bizarre set of expressways, one-ways, and turn arounds. Two of the cousins present had GPS on their phones so we spread them out among all the different cars. It was ridiculous. And then I was bored in the airport and hotel with limited internet access. (I say boo!)

I came home and ordered a smart phone.

I'm glad I got to see Amanda's experience of getting a Blackberry and hating it because it's not an iPhone. (She's not reading the blog right now, I could say anything I want about her. This is at least true.) I knew I couldn't have an iPhone because there's no AT&T coverage in my unit or most of my building. I did a lot of reading about iPhone vs Droid and found out Droid has some nice things going for it as well. So I was emotionally prepared to own something that's not an iPhone but with similar capabilities. Droid's got a great search function and I'm pleasantly surprised by Gmail. (No one knows why I hadn't tried that yet either.) I've used the GPS and mapping a couple of times. I expect to use it a lot on vacation in New York. (I'm going to New York!)

Running has been an off-and-on kind of thing. This week I did 10 miles on an elliptical on Sunday (because when I wake up late, running indoors is mandatory). Monday morning I ran 4 miles (practice for the victory lap down Summit at the end of the marathon) with the St Paul runners who then treated me to coffee and croissants for my birthday. Tuesday I turned the alarm off and rolled over. Wednesday I woke up to rain and ran sprints on the track at the Y. (Yes, that is my first indoor track experience this training season and also my first sprint experience this season.) Today I was scarred by the alarm and rolled over for another couple hours of sleep.

Tomorrow, I'm planning in my head to think 'turn on the lamp' when the alarm goes off instead of 'oh, no, I'm too tired'. I'll get up if there's light. Tomorrow I'm planning 15. I could go bat shit crazy and do 18 but it seems unlikely. My plan is to head over to the lakes. At the top of Lake Calhoun I will decide to either go north to Lake of the Isles, run around that and take a short cut home, or, skip the third lake and take the regular distance and route home. It's good to have options. Hopefully this will calm me down about Lake of the Isles where I've had some rough times in the past. I've had some rough times around Lake Calhoun too. It's good those both come early in the Marathon when I won't be freaking out.

Why'd I wait 'till Friday (a day on which I rarely run) for the long run? That decision was on instruction from Amanda who told me I had to have enough calories to eat whatever awesome food will be cooked for Pooky Bear and my birthday party. And then also have enough calories left over to drink whatever kinds of alcohol I want. Although I have some calories to play with since there will be dancing.

I told Amanda that I want to sleep it off on her couch and go have Tex Mex in the morning. Amanda usually sleeps 'till 3pm (no, seriously, she works 3rd shift) so I'm thinking I may just have to wake her up when I'm ready for food because I won't be sleeping like that.

Happy Birthday to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment