15.5.10

One Wild Flashback...

I was laying on the couch this morning taking my post-breakfast nap (I love the weekend!) when I startled myself awake and realized the School of Social Work graduation was today.

Some of you reading this will remember the day I graduated from this program. Today was like having a flashback. ::Sidenote:: Thanks to Amanda, Kelly, Eric, Sue and Jeri who all set up in the balcony when I graduated. The main floor was very calm. The balcony was like a zoo and I appreciate that you endured for me. ::End sidenote::

I was a field instructor/task supervisor (social workers know what I'm talking about; for everyone else it means I helped supervise a year-long internship) for two students who graduated today. As a bonus I actually knew a third student who also graduated and it was nice to see her. The speaker was supposed to be Senator Mee Moua who couldn't make it because she was busy trying to negotiate a budget for our great state.

The bulk of this ceremony is watching the students get hooded by their friends and family. Most were hooded by their parents, kids or spouses and some were hooded by professors or field instructors. The two student emcees both commented about how challenging the Social Work program (as well as just being in grad school) is, and the types of things the students faced. HELLO FLASHBACKS! They're so right; it was a really hard two years. And I'm totally proud to be a social worker.

As I said, I sat in the balcony this year. I think next year I may try the third floor so I can have a little more personal space. Today I sat next to this little girl who literally bounced the whole time. I was amazingly not freaked out or frustrated at all. (I know, I can't believe it either.) She came with her mom to watch her mom's friend graduate. (Good for them. It meant a lot when my friends came.) Seriously. Bounced the whole time.

After the ceremony I saw both of the students I supervised and congratulated them. I also saw several old professors and talked to them as well.

Now I'm sitting at home, kind of pepped up from the ceremony, with too much energy to go to bed. I'm ok for another little while and then I'll need to clobber myself over the head or something becuase I have to be up to run at 6:30am with the St Paul runners. I was planning on doing a long run tomorrow but a strange confluence of events is making me do "the Liz Loop" (7-miler or so) tomorrow and probably a long run mid week (when I'm off for two days).

No comments:

Post a Comment