20.5.10

Making Peace with the River: Continuing a Positive Process

I had the past couple of days off of work. (I love my job).

I used yesterday to continue making peace with the river. I took my longest run of the season and had a blast.

The first mile or two was gorgeous becuase steam (is it steam or mist?) was coming off the creek. It was really early. The next few miles were great and I was pleasantly surprised that the 'hill' up to the Franklin Avenue bridge wasn't anywhere near as steep as I'd imagined.

The next few miles were an adventure as I'd never run on the east side of the river from Franklin back down to Lake/Marshall. This is when nutrition started to be an issue. Ultimately I think I need to go back to Gu Gel Packs for the long runs. The Chomps weren't quite doing it for me. I really wish my co-op still sold the granola/chocolate bars I ate last while I was training. Those were by far the best.

I practiced running (and I mean running) up the hill after the Marshall Ave bridge and up the hill that leads to Cretin Ave. Why? Because this is like mile 20 of the marathon course and I can predict what my body and brain will feel like by then. (I've decided my marathon goal is to run the whole course this time, other than water stops which I always walk through.) The next part of the course is really my favorite (too bad it's not part of the marathon) because from Summit avenue to the Ford Parkway bridge it's basically downhill. By Ford Parkway I was super hot and had some water and the last of the food I could eat. (I know, good practice for summer running.) I had a plan to do run-walk intervals for miles 14 and 15 of the run and surprised myself pleasantly by running more and walking less than my original plan. I was tired when I got home but not in nearly as much pain as I could have been.

None the less, I spent some quality time with my legs submerged in a tub of ice, another great summer running practice. (Winter running basically includes an ice bath as part of the process.)

After that I spent part of the day at the pool and started reading a book Bonnie lent to me a long time ago called Veil of Roses. I got pretty far through it before I went to Bonnie's house for dinner.

Dinner during a festival doesn't start until after sunset so we didn't eat 'till about 10:00pm. I had a great time.

Obviously after my late night last night I got up this morning around 11am. Amanda called me and came over to sit by my pool. (Why are you interrupting me? I have to finish this book?) After I finished the book Amanda picked it up and is now about half way through it.

We went to Singapore for carry out. The reviews about the quality of the food are totally accurate. Sadly, the reviews about the long wait are accurate too. Usually the food is so good I don't care.

After dinner my teenager and her friend came over to use my computer. I checked out a couple of the MySpace pages she was looking at after they left. Then I decided I didn't want to know.

I'm now trying to psych myself up for one day of work before the regular weekend and praying the heat in the building is turned off tomorrow (before the weekend when it's supposed to be 90*).

No comments:

Post a Comment