11.3.10

Not Eating Out = Not Really Working

Here's the chain of events that is my undoing this month:
Sunday: Run far. Hang out with Kelly (had a nice time). Cleaned like a mad woman. (Like four hours of cleaning. My place looks great now, come on over for a visit.)
Monday: Tired and sore. No working out. I took a walk at lunch with a co-worker and smelled the french fries from Burger King. Ate many things I was hoping would sate my desire for fries. No luck.
Monday night: Dreamed of French Fries.
Tuesday: Went to the gym. Spent for ever on the elliptical. Still dreaming of french fries. But I did not overeat. I think I had Chipotle for lunch because the elliptical mileage was almost my long run mileage.
Wednesday: Again, there will be no working out. Went to KFC for lunch. Succumb to french fry desire. Shortly thereafter discover that Chipotle burritos, while the size of my head, actually have fewer calories than the yummy goodness that was my KFC meal. Leave work. Eat bacon with Amanda. Learn how to poach eggs.
Thursday (that's today): Wake up. Turn the alarm off and go back to sleep (as it should be). Wake up again. Go to work. Leave work at 2pm. (First day all week I worked less than 8 hours!) Stopped by Turtle bread and got rolls for the weekend. I can now only purchase fresh bread from a bakery. None of this loaf crap anymore.
Went to the Y again. Spent an even more ridiculous amount of time on an elliptical today. I decided since the distance I did today was basically the same as my long run distance on Sunday I'd have more Chipotle. Plus, clearly this no-eating-out thing isn't working.
Tomorrow: Am planning on practicing poaching eggs. We shall see.

Lessons learned:
On days I exercise I actually eat much better and tend to stay in my calorie allotment for the day. (Yes, still on the calorie restriction. The scale said I weigh less than before the KFC which shocked the he!! out of me.)
On days when I biologically feel hungrier (all women understand...) the best way to manage the beast is to work out first thing in the morning. I can't explain it but I don't get as hungry when I start my day that way. (I know, you'd think I'd be starving after running for over an hour.)
The real reason I wanted to not eat out is it's so much harder to count calories accurately. Luckily (or tragically, I haven't decided) many national chains like KFC and Chipotle are in my iPod program so this argument is moot.
Holy crap, a two piece chicken/side combo (with a diet-zero-calorie drink) is the same amount of calories as a Chipotle Burrito, guacamole and half bag of chips. But sometimes, the fried chicken is just soooooo good.

No comments:

Post a Comment