18.8.09

Liz Trains for a Marathon: Liz Ignores her Blog

I've been away for a while... I make no excuses. (BTW, for those of you reading this as a "note" in Facebook, I do have an actual blog at a4bats.blogspot.com that you should check out.)

How's training been going? I'd say fair. My long runs are now long enough that the weather has started to be a factor. Things like humidity (which I'll get to) and pop-up thunderstorms are much more of a problem when I'm several miles away from my house than when I'm just running around Lake Nokomis and can get home fairly quickly.

This Sunday I tried to do a long run since I couldn't on Saturday. Like a good girl, I got up nice and early, checked the weather and determined there was no chance of lightning killing me, laced up my shoes and went out. Into the 95% humidity. It wasn't that hot, it was just humid. I'll be honest, it was like a pride thing that I didn't want to stop. But the humidity absolutely kicked my butt. I wound up doing about 6.5 miles outside. Then I went to the Y to run intervals inside, but by that time I was already so tired I didn't get very far. I was feeling pretty bad for not being able to run in the humidity. A friend pointed out there was probably more water in the air than usable oxygen, which helped a little.

How's fund-raising going? Also about fair. I helped at a water stop this Saturday for the Minnesota Half Marathon, for which I will receive a donation towards my goal. For those of you who don't know, the point on the whole marathon-training-thing, is actually to raise enough money to put a teen (or pre-teen) through the Bolder Options mentoring program entirely. The marathon will be more to celebrate that accomplishment. Everyone on the marathon team will also have raised enough to put a teen through the program so with all of us, that'll be about 15 kids. Want to make a donation? Great! Head over to my fund raising page at Firstgiving.com or drop me an email. I'm about half way to my goal, which is supposedly ok for this time of year. Everyone else thinks the other $1,600 dollars for this undertaking will appear, so I'm trusting the universe as much as I can. (Thanks to the universe and to all y'all who've already donated too!)

How's the rest of life going? I told someone that it's a real barometer of my mental health when I stop cooking lunches for the week on Sunday before I go back to work. I don't think I've cooked lunches in a few weeks, probably about the last time I wrote on the blog. For some reason, this time of year is always hard for me. Maybe I was traumatized by always having to go back to school (which I hated) at this time of year. I don't know. But, as expected, anxiety has been noticeably present. Don't get too worried yet. I did just cook lunch for the next few days, and I'm planning to do my long run tomorrow so I can be stuffed like a sardine in a 15 passenger van with a bunch of smelly runners (what'd I just say about my mental health?) run the Great River Relay on Friday and Saturday with a team from Bolder Options. It should be really fun.

Now I think I'll go try an hypnotize myself so I don't freak out about this run tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment