6.7.09

Liz Trains for a Marathon: Still Going

I'm still up here training. I know it's been silent for a week. Every so often there's a lull in my training that is, shall we say, forced. And quite frustrating to me.

But this week, I'm back in action. I tried to run yesterday and made it 3 miles. I walked the other e for a total of 6. It was much hotter than I anticipated. This morning I did six miles, over 5.5 of which was on an elliptical. Every time I step off the elliptical, my legs feel like jell-o. (No, seriously, I'm like Gumbi.) But no joint pain.

The training schedule I found has me running five days a week most weeks. Most people I've talked to say that for me knees to last so I can enjoy running for a long time, I should only run three or four days a week. So, I use the elliptical and count it as running. It's an excellent workout if you've never tried it before. When I run 5 miles, I usually go at about an 11:30 or 11:00 pace. When I'm on the elliptical, I go at a 10:00 pace.

I'm also getting to the point where 10 mile runs aren't scaring the crap out of me. Like, I want to do one tomorrow. Just because I can. When I started training, I never thought I'd actually want to run from my house around Lake Harriet and back. Wow.

1 comment:

  1. Here's an article you might find interesting, related to your post:

    http://blog.nutritiondata.com/dieting_weight_loss_blog/2009/07/exercise-and-arthritis-recommendations.html

    Just ran across it and thought of you.

    ReplyDelete