26.6.09

Long Run Friday

I ran 10 miles today. I was kind of nervous about that distance since (I'm embarrassed to say) I haven't done a 10 miler since before the half-marathon. And I was happily surprised at how good I felt.

This route, much like the marathon route has a bear of a hill that comes right at the end. The only way I got up it this morning without walking was by promising myself water at the top. I'm not sure I've ever shared my 10-mile route, here it is, just in case. It takes me along Minnehaha Parkway and Minnehaha Creek which is nice and shady, and then around Lake Harriet. The number of sail boats on Lake Harriet has like trippled since the last the I was there (which was last Saturday by the way). Or maybe I didn't notice them then. They were all parked along the shore. Between the sail boats and the bandshell and the sunrise, it was a gorgeous run.

This was also the first 10-miler where I've actually brought food with me. Did you know they sell little single serving bags of sour patch kids all year round, not just at Halloween? They do. And it turns out, around mile 5 or 6, that's just what I need to punch my blood sugar way back up. Nice.

I did have to go to work today, pretty much directly after I got done running. But I did treat myself to Chipotle, with lots of chicken and beans, to give my body some protein and I took a nap when I got home.

Now, sadly, I have to go to the YWCA (I know, the same day I did a long run) because I need to go these next few days to achieve the "good behavior" discount as I call it. I can't figure out what I'm going to do when I get there. It's 90* so the hot tub sounds not at all appealing. Neither does walking, or lifting weights, and cardio is out for obvious reasons. I might just get in their big pool and float around a bit. I just need to show up to get the discount. But I feel stupid checking in and leaving a few minutes later.

No comments:

Post a Comment