7.3.09

A marathon update

Training for a marathon is much harder than I thought. Running long distances is not my problem. The issue seems to be running five days a week. I'm not sure how much the problem is living in Minnesota where it's icy right now, and how much I just let that be an excuse.

It's possible my marathon goals have changed slightly. On Thursday I made it to a meeting at Bolder Options. Those of you who see me regularly know I want to train for a marathon with other people since I've never done it before. I'd thought about the American Cancer Society since they have a team running in the Twin Cities Marathon every year. But then I found out about the destination marathon Bolder Options does every year. Since I know them, I decided I'd rather work on their behalf. (For those of you who don't know, I was a mentor for them. My mentee and I graduated the year-long program last Thursday. Go us!)

Someone said that if you have a rather lofty fund raising goal and a goal of training for the marathon, the marathon training becomes the easier of the two. Good, I'm ready for something to make this easier.

Here's the change in my plans: Instead of running the Twin Cities Marathon, I am now training to run a marathon in Amsterdam and raise money for Bolder Options. So, if you're reading this blog, I'll be asking you to make a contribution to Bolder Options. Thanks in advance.

What else happened this week? I decided to actually go out for once: Last night Amanda took me out dancing (not just me, a whole bunch of people). My favorite part of the evening involved the phrase, "THIS IS NOT A HALLWAY". We were actually sober by that point. There really wasn't a whole lot of alcohol involved last night. My other favorite part of the evening involved someone trying to get me to smoke, "oh just once" as they inhaled, coughed repeatedly and made a face comparable to the bitter beer face, and then took another drag and did it again. And after two drags, couldn't take anymore.

Today, I've been laying on the couch. All day. I'm considering getting off the couch. But it never seems like the thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment