16.12.08

I'm copying off Kelly again. Merry Christmas

Kelly did this over on her blog and you can follow all the links back to whomever is the original poster if you're really that curious.

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before? Well, there was the Bed Bugs an experience that ultimately made me better at my job but I'd be happy to never ever repeat. I also ran a 10K and I quit my job at the aquarium.

2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions and will you make more for next year? I don't do news years resolutions. I'll make changes in my own time.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Um, no.

4. Did anyone close to you die? No.

5. What countries did you visit? Is New York City it's own country? (It feels like it sometimes.) No? Then just South Africa and I was technically in Senegal twice during that trip.

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? I'm planning on running a marathon. That should be nice.

7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? Easy and for obvious reasons.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? The one I'm feeling most proud of at the moment was a family I served. The person I was serving died recently and his wife made sure to call me and thank me for helping make this person as comfortable as possible. It was the most touching moment I've had at my job.

9. What was your biggest failure? I don't feel like I've failed at anything really. Sometimes I feel frustrated with this whole "training for a marathon" thing, like I'm not actually doing the weeks as I'm supposed to and that doesn't always make me feel good. But that will work itself out. Winter is about the crappiest time possible to start training for a 26 mile run.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Yes. The one that's coming to mind right now I got right after the South Africa trip and resulted in me being on a liquid diet for three days. It also jump started weight loss which was awesome.

11. What was the best thing you bought? My iPod Touch. I didn't think it'd get as much use as it does. A happy surprise.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? I refer you to question 7. Now, see, you're not sure if I'm talking about President Elect Obama, his family, the ticket, the voters, or something else entirely. And I'm going to leave it that way.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? California voters who decided gay people can't get married. I respect that "marriage" is a word from the bible and other religious texts and has a specific (and sacred) meaning in that context. But these citizens aren't asking California if they can get married in that religious context. They're asking to have tax benefits, property rights, disability and veterans benefits, insurance coverage, and power to make medical decisions, which is the purview and job of the government. If you don't like the word marriage, change the word, but don't use semantics as an excuse to deny a sizable minority a basic human right.

14. Where did most of your money go? It's called a mortgage.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? There was that time I went to South Africa. Also, we elected a president this year.

16. What song will always remind you of 2008? There are a few. New Soul by Yael Naim is one I found this year. Burnin Up by the Jonas Brothers (I am not ashamed) is another. I know All these things that I've done was made popular by the olympics, I love to run to it now. Especially the chorus that goes "I've got soul but I'm not a soldier..."

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: Yes, I still am.

18. happier or sadder? Same.

19. thinner or fatter? Definitely thinner.

20. richer or poorer? I'm really note sure.

21. What do you wish you’d done more of? Run outside.

22. What do you wish you’d done less of? Not running.

23. How will you be spending Christmas? At my parents new condo. Although at this point, it's not clear whether the kitchen sink will also be spending Christmas with us.

24. Did you fall in love in 2008? Well, that's an interesting question. I'm not sure I've really told that story.

25. What was your favorite TV program? Clean House. It's like an addiction. In fact, when Style went to the more expensive cable teir, I found it in my budget to buy more cable. Happily I also get the Colbert Report which is another excellent show. I'd been watching that one on Hulu for a while now.

27. What was the best book you read? Dreams from my Father by President Elect Obama. I love the part where he talks about realizing how his mother sees Africa. I see Africa how his mom did.

28. What was your greatest musical discovery of 2008? Does books on tape count? I knew about books on tape, but I made a recent discovery about how to *ahem* make them accessible to my iPod.

29. What did you want and get? To not have bed bugs anymore.

30. What did you want and not get? A more comfortable place to sleep while my apartment was being sprayed for bed bugs. A note here to Amanda: You are an awesome friend because when I called (in a mild panic) asking for a place to stay, you never asked how I'd be sure not to contaminate your place with bugs too, and you just welcomed me right in. That was probably the worst time of all year. I feel really lucky to have you as a friend.

31. What was your favorite film of this year? Does the Vice Presidential Debate count? They played it at the local theater? Seriously, there were movies this year?

32. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? For sure there was alcohol..., I think there was cake too. I turned 27. Wow, I've been telling people I'm 28 for a while now.

33. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? I have no idea, but it was pretty good they way it was.

34. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? "Bonnie takes Liz shopping"

35. What kept you sane? There was the the time I called Amanda sobbing because none of my clothes would be returned to me before I went on a 14 day international trip and she actually calmed me right down from that one. On the phone the first couple of things she said to me were really nice which at the time made me cry harder because it felt so good to have a nice friend like that.

36. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Tina Fey? Does fancy mean I have a crush on them or I think they had a good year. Tina Fey definitely had a good year but I don't play for that team. I've always thought Hugh Grant was pretty hot.

37. What political issue stirred you the most? I didn't realize until just now that gay marriage was pretty important to me. Also, I'm going to have to say health care and the economy.

38. Who did you miss? My heart always misses Africa. But I have some people who live in the US and are still far away, I miss you guys too.

39. Who was the best new person you met? I think I technically met Irmghard in 2007, but I'm definitely happy she's part of the family now. And thanks for letting me stay with you in New York. I had a nice time.

40. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008: I'm going to refer you back to number 8 for that.

41. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. Possibly Affirmation by Savage Garden.

1 comment:

  1. Love the "You Cannot Know God" quote at the top of your website. I believe it's Neale Donald Walsch. He's my favorite author.

    ReplyDelete