8.7.08

The worst dream ever

I just had a pretty rough dream. It could be payback for cleaning out the attic.

In the dream, I was living in my old apartment, where I first lived when I moved to Minnesota. I'd just bought half of the house and I was going to share it with Joyce, my old land lady. I had everything I needed, the house was kind of set up and I was trying to avoid clutter.

And then I remembered I had this other apartment in another part of town. I thought, "how am I affording this?" and "I really did just buy part of this house right?" After all those answers came back, I decided I needed to get rid of the other apartment. I think it was in Northeast Minneapolis, which while lovely, has no appeal to me at all. I thought, "Ill just pack up or sell everything in that apartment, I wonder how fast it can happen".

And then I got to the apartment. And in it was all of my grandmother's stuff. In the dream it was a lot nicer and bigger than the stuff she had in real life. There were beds and bed spreads and dressers in just about every room and a gigantic china cabinet. My first thought was "how did this all get up to Minneapolis?" and then I thought, "well, we're just going to have to send it back to Cincinnati" followed by, "oh crap, that'll take for ever. I'll have to pay another month's rent. How am I affording this?"

And I started to pack and was completely overwhelmed. It's important to note that I've moved several times (about half of them in 2004) and have never been simply too overwhelmed to pack. So anyway, I tried to pack and it just wasn't working. I got a little bit done. And then my Uncle Jerry showed up and he helped me go through some of the things and decide what to do with them. (So this would have been his mom's stuff too.) I also couldn't figure out the last time I'd actually lived in the apartment or why I had an apartment in that part of town. I am a South Minneapolis girl.

The most notable thing in the dream: Uncle Jerry showing up and helping me decide what to do. I liked Uncle Jerry when I was a little kid. His son (my cousin) is about six months younger than me and we were always really close. We would spend like all day on Saturday together when we were kids. And then we hit junior high and that stuff was less interesting. I really grew away from them. It seemed like we never had much in common. Adulthood had mildly changed that. Both Jimmy and I work really hard and now Uncle Jerry sees my Mom and Dad more than he used to. It's not like it was when we were kids though.

When I was home I took out a whole bunch of Grandma's stuff and brought it down so Jerry and Mom could look at it and decide what to do with it together. Uncle Jerry's reaction to the pile? "Burn it all". (No. Seriously) I have a few things of my Grandma's, mostly her cooking stuff. She had a lot of nice stuff that Mom will never use. She was one of those great old women who would "entertain" with the crystal and the silver tea sets and the fine china. Mom feels bad that she'll never use it. I feel bad that Mom feels bad. And now I'm dreaming about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment