4.10.07

Poking around on the internet

I've been poking around on the internet a lot today. What else was I going to do with my time off? I was productive enough last week.
1. More ways for a better memory. Note number 3. My brain is bigger because I run. Now I'm just waiting for the rest of me to get smaller from running. They also talk about the benefits of coffee, which I am tragically addicted to. Not coffee so much as lattes which are more expensive than regular coffee. I also like the tip about enjoying what you're learning. It has served me well in my life. I love being a geek.
2. An article about the impact of legalizing euthanasia. It's very relevant to my line of work. I actually haven't come across this situation yet, or I haven't come across a situation where someone is ill enough to fit in the category and interested in ending their own life. Obviously I've come across people who are very sick. I feel lucky that I'm able to be a part of their journey. It's quite inspiring to see someone want to live.
3. Almost 500 Cosmetic Products in the US contain toxic levels of chemicals. Yet another reason I'm glad I don't wear make-up. I actually think women can wear make-up in an attractive way, and sometimes felt left out that I was the only one not wearing any. The real reason I don't wear make-up: I don't like it touching my face. Ewww. (It's the OCD.)
4. Blind people are asking Toyota to make the Prius louder. I've been in a couple of these cars. They are ridiculously quiet. I was telling Dad about them and that was actually the first thing I said. I don't think it's fair to say they make no noise, but I certainly can't tell when the thing is running.
5. 20 Innovations that changed the College Experience. I remember being in college and knowing about Google before most of my class mates. That's right. I was an early adopter. As for online learning environments like blackboard, I have strong feelings about them. I'm not a fan obviously. Mostly that's because the system that the U has is built to only work with internet explorer. Remember all those articles about Macs gaining popularity that I posted yesterday? Forget Macs, let's think of Firefox, the only browser to actually meet accessibility standards doesn't work with this system. Sorry, I'm better now. The energy drinks thing is just funny to me. I knew a guy who used to drink red bull like that in almost all of our classes. He seemed to need them during the day more than at night though.
6. Speaking of website accessibility, Target is getting sued over their inaccessible website. I know someone who is visually impaired and uses the speech software to navigate the internet and other software programs. This is a really big issue.
7. Optical Illusions in architecture. Maybe I can use one of these concepts to redecorate my bedroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment