3.10.07

Here's my confession

Remember a while ago, when I said I'd try to run 65 miles in the month of October? And then I had a practice week? How far have I gone? Zero miles. I'm telling you all this because I know you'll still love me, even though I couldn't drag my lazy ass out of bed once so far this week to run.

I keep doing math in my head, like, as long as I've only got 25 miles to go, I could run 5 miles five days in a row at the end. (This, by the way, is how I scheduled homework the entire time I was in grad school. It's why I was always stayed up so late the day before class and did no work at any other time.) I was just zonked all week, and couldn't wake up at 5:30a, and for some reason, was too tired to run after work either. Honestly, that feels harder to me than waking up early and getting it over with. Maybe my friend Kelly, who has been called "a professional sleeper" has some advice for me. (Or at least she probably understands what this feels like.) I'm hoping that tomorrow and Friday (since I don't have to work) I can run longer runs and make up a little distance. I'm also hoping that next week when I get back on my regular work schedule, I can start waking up early again.

Other things that will help me get back on track: next Wednesday I go learn to be a Bolder Options volunteer. Bolder Options is like Big Brothers / Big Sisters except when you get a teenager, you run or bike with them. And I need to continue to visit the gym eight times a month to get my $20 off the membership price.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure I have any sleeping advice for you. Because, you see, I could pretty much sleep in any environment that I needed to. Loud noises, bright lights, uncomfortable bedding.... The counterbalance to this is that sometimes when I really want to sleep, I can't. I'll wake up in the middle of the night and won't be able to fall back asleep for two hours. Or I'll have restless legs (I think my legs are allergic to the suburbs, because they've been significantly worse since I moved here). Or... whatever.

    It is taking my body quite a long time to get used to waking up at 6 am. I'm still not tired at night at the time when I should be going to bed. I'm tired the rest of the time, just not between 9 and 11. Having the boy around helps me get out of bed in the morning.

    My two pieces of advice are:

    1) Find your motivation. Whatever it is that you need to get yourself either out of bed early enough to run or to force yourself to run when you get home from work. Make it brutal if you have to (no TV until I go for a run, or whatever works for you).

    2) If you continue to find yourself too tired to get up and can't make yourself run after work, consider going to a doctor and seeing if you're healthy. Being tired all the time and lacking the energy/motivation to do things you really want to do are signs of depression. I should know. Coincidentally, regular exercise helps combat this.

    ReplyDelete