18.9.07

Oh sleep, I remember that

I should remember sleep. I slept like 10 hours last night. Woops. I was ready for sleep around 8:00, finally gave in around 10:00. Woke up: just before 8:00 this morning. Technically my alarm went off at 5:30am too, but we all know that didn't happen.

I was inspired by the blubber run to be able to run faster than I do now. Seriously. I give Amanda crap about always wanting to win at Jenga but I'm just as bad... So I went back to the Couch Potato Running Plan that I used in 2006 (mentioned here and here among others) and used the same general principle. Instead of walking and running, I ran at a normal to slow pace for the "walk" times and ran at a faster than normal pace for the "run" times. I did that for 20 minutes, and then continued to run until I had run four miles. I seemed to work ok. I'll keep trying it. We'll see if I get faster. I ran those four miles in just under 11:00 miles. Exciting.

I was thinking about running a long way tomorrow morning, but it's still raining. I don't want to get that wet.

What else have I done today? Looked around at wonderful things for you to see of course.
1. Interested in God? You must have a PC. I'm not sure I believe it.
2. One of my best friends lives in Seattle. Chris, is this really true?
3. The Lemon Screw Squeezer. Mind... gutter.
4. Another great thing about Japan? Shock absorbing gel. Maybe we should put this at construction sites around steel workers. Pssst, Amanda. What are they saying?
5. 10 of the funniest sites on the internet. Kelly, how many of these did you already know existed? My personal favorite: Engrish.com.
6. And a great article about modern day sailors and pirates.
Why does this article interest me? I've been through the straits of Malacca on a ship. It was fairly exciting. It was only then I learned there is a brig on our ship. To keep the pirates away, all the crew would take shifts at night keeping watch all around the ship. Their weapons? Fire hoses. No joke. We made it through that water safely but that was the earliest we ever left port before our scheduled time and absolutely the fastest I saw that ship move the whole three months I lived on it. The next day we were going about five knots to make up for our hasty departure from Singapore.

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't really familiar with any of those except OINY. My list of websites to entertain myself with at work involves icanhascheezburger and cuteoverload with a generous smattering of ebay, digg, and etsy.

    And I'm hating you for all the sleep you're getting.

    ReplyDelete