4.8.07

I didn't run today, we'll see how tomorrow goes

I was supposed to run 3 miles today, according to my training schedule. I didn't. We'll see how tomorrow goes. That's supposed to be seven miles. I was too tired this morning to get up and run. It's been rough since the bridge collapsed. I haven't slept too well. No one has really.

It's really interesting to compare the local stories to the national, as I've said so far. MSNBC is running a story about President Bush and his new chance to be comforter. Ironic that his newest chance to be a comfort would come to one of the most liberal cities in the entire country where his approval ratings had to be about the same as my shoe size before this mess. All I could think about was how a presidential motorcade was going to make traffic even worse because they have to close so many roads and (ironically) bridges. The more I started thinking about this, the more I realized that President Bush, or even the First Lady who was here today aren't offering a whole lot of tangible support, other than the "oh, yeah, this is a tragedy". I think that's a dumb thing we expect our leaders to do. President Bush coming doesn't make my life any better. I also really wish it didn't come on the heals of President Bush convincing congress to set fire to the bill of rights.

In the mean time, I'm wondering how this will change things. Things can't go back to how they were before Wednesday night. No one here can go over a bridge without thinking about it. It's amazing how many bridges are in the twin cities really. I go over at least five every day just to get to work. It's interesting to hear the tone of the traffic reports on the news. Traffic here has been so bad for a while, that traffic reports used to take the tone of "this really blows, someone needs to fix this", especially regarding another section of 35W south of that bridge. (Ironically, I'll that's eased up quite a bit.) Now the tone of the traffic reports is more like "ok, this is how things are and we're just going to drive together on the roads we do have and work this out". It's kind of nice, a much more civil tone to the whole thing I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment