14.1.07

Running, too much internet shopping and other fun things

First off, I ran outside today. Before it snowed. I couldn't go to the YWCA because they were having an Indoor Triathlon. How cool is that? Well, I could've gone later, but I wanted to run... I ran 3.6 miles (the short run). I did not time myself. I was too busy trying to keep my face from freezing off. It actually wasn't that cold but the wind chill was a bear. Thanks again to the parents for the cool running shirt I got for Christmas. It kept me nice and warm.

I was supposed to do an overnight last night. It got canceled under circumstances which were fine for me, but someone was hurt so I hope that person is ok. I'll do my first overnight next week instead.

I went to a party for a co-worker last night since I didn't have to work. The part was about 1/2 mile from my house and I didn't want to drive because I was promised good margaritas upon my arrival. So, I set out from my house on this walk, and I thought, "this would be so much shorter if I ran. It's only half mile." So I ran there. It was pretty quick. And I ran intervals. Run two blocks walk one. It was really too cold to be walking anyways.

I've tried doing some homework today. I'm not sure how well it worked. I actually haven't spent too much time horsing around on the web today. Keep in my mind, I'm also about to post stuff I saw yesterday.

1. President Bush's Comments on Iraq made on 60 Minutes, later echoed by Vice President Cheney on CNN. This is truly terrifying.
2. Hens are laying eggs with cancer fighting proteins.
3. Canada may change their copy right laws to end fair use. I've been really interested in this whole DRM meets iPod meets Zune meets the record companies meets the artist who are now asking for the DRM to be removed. I'm not really sure what to make of it all. If you get it, please let me know.
4. A 200 Year Study Changes the Way We Manage Forests. What's more boring than watching the grass grow? Studying how logs grow mold? It actually sounds cool in the "I'm a geek" kind of way.
5. The Bonsai Potato Project. Could be a fun gardening project with the seniors.
6. A Map of GDP Density. The biggest surprise to me: I always forget there's nothing in the middle of Australia, and really not much on the west coast either. Also, what's in the middle of Alaska up near the Canadian border? It's so far inland.
7. Speaking of DRM, Boingboing's take on the iPhone.
8. Remember Mario 3?, my favorite Nintendo game ever. (Links to Youtube Video.)
9. Thinkature. Anyone know anything about this site?
10. Foods that make you feel bad. I love my Alfredo too. Love the comment about Pork Rinds.
11. Aids for the busy housewife (to remain in servitude for the rest of her natural life).
12. An Ultra-Compact Calendar. How cool is this? Ok, it may not be that cool, but every once in a while I think something like this would be super useful.
13. 500 Useless Facts because some of you might be on my Trivial Pursuit team sometime.
14. A really funny test that Kelly and Amanda should do but probably not at work. It asks if you know which urinal to use if various other urinals are being used. It's funny to look at the answers, some of which I didn't know. Nice commentary in the answer section as well.

Now, for the memes:
From The Question of the Day
For Saturday:The IT planning for year 4 that took me hours! I have looked everywhere :o( I'm going to have to re-write it *swears loudly* "#$%&*!!"

So, tell us, have you lost anything lately? And do you have any tips for finding the planning?

Most of you remember when my computer crashed and planning and actually restoring my computer took forever. I'm still not actually done.

For finding the planning, you can do a search on your computer for files that were edited during a specific time, like specific days. If you've looked for 4 hours, I'm assuming you've tried that already. In the future, use a Mac.

and
Have you ever been in a hot air balloon?
No.

For Sunday: What is the oldest television show you actually remember watching as a child?
I think it was probably M*A*S*H that I was when I was young. I watched Andy Griffith, but not 'till I was a teen or almost teen.

From The Saturday 8:
1. the millionaire "secret santa" has passed. do you contribute to charity?
I'm a Social Worker.
2. if you had a million dollars to donate to any charity or group, where would you give it?
To Anti-Malaria research. Malaria in Africa kills more people than AIDS. There was a West Wing Ep about this where this fake Bill Gates typer character wanted to spend $1 Billion and asked the chief of staff where it would be most helpful. She basically said, "go build roads in Africa and if you get done with that, think about plumbing.
3. do you think that the tax deduction benefit is worth giving?
I don't itemize my taxes so I don't really get that benefit.
4. do you patronise goodwill or any other community charity store?
I don't, but I do take clients there sometimes.
5. do you give money to people who are begging?
Depends on my mood. Not often although more here than when I'm in other countries.
6. many cities are starting ordinances that bar or limit charities from giving out free food/clothing to homeless people in municipal areas. do you agree or disagree with this limitation, and why?
Oh lord, let's not go there again.
7. many homeless are mentally ill and it is difficult to locate them, diagnose them, and monitor their medication/intake. do you think that the federal government does enough for the mentally-ill homeless in your country, and why?
I'm not sure where this blogger is from, but in the US it's typically local government (cities and counties) that serve the homeless. One of the cool things Minneapolis did recently was divert some tax money so that a shelter could stay open 24 hours in the cold. Before that funding came through, the shelter woke everyone and made them leave by 7am. Do you know how could it is in Minneapolis at 7am?
8. how "giving" are you with friends? have you been burned in the past lending money/time to someone who either does not pay you back or is ungrateful/expectant of your time/money, or have you had relatively good experiences with giving/lending?
I'm not sure. I think all of my friends and I are much more generous with things like time (Thank You to Amanda and Kelly for helping me move that one time, and then painting my bathroom later, and...), and food (Thank you to Amanda and Kelly for everything you've ever cooked and fed me. It's all been great, except the garlic boca burgers with the bacon Amanda. That was a woops.)

From The Saturday 6:
1. If you knew you would die the following day, what would you do with your blog: edit some parts of it and leave it up for posterity, leave it as it is, or delete it?
Wow, I have no idea. Hopefully I haven't written anything too bad here. It's the other blog I'd worry about...
2. Other than your own blog, what single website do you visit the most?
Uhhh... This should be easy. My Del.icio.us account, and Singingfish, Kelly's blog, and Cindde's web site because I have artwork there. Also, I read tons of RSS feeds.
3. How many different email accounts do you currently own, counting work and home?
Oh lord. Lemme see, yahoo, fastmail, excite, UMN, Science Museum, UWA, DARTS. Seven. They all serve different purposes. The Excite one is exclusively to give to places I know will spam me.
4. Take the quiz: How addicted to the internet are you?
I Am 33% Addicted to the Internet

Internet? Please. I'm definitely not geeky enough to be that addicted.
I have a full life off your computer - and the internet is just a small pastime (that keeps me from doing my homework).


5. Are you more likely to visit the internet the first thing in the morning or the last thing at night? Night. That way I can tell you all how far I ran or swam. (It's nice to be able to keep track of that here.)

6. Who was the last person you had an email/instant message conversation with? When was the last time you saw that person in person? Uhhh, I email a lot to people at work. Most recently it was over a situation where someone wasn't getting paid and they should've been. It was a whole bunch of people on those emails but I saw those people yesterday. I don't use IM.

Finally from Unconscious Mutterings:
1. Episode ::Studio 60
2. Source ::Code
3. Jerk ::Mean person
4. Introduce ::me at a party
5. Ralph :: Barf
6. Stare :: down
7. Cast :: and crew
8. Scenario :: doesn't sound that good to me either (line from The American President)
9. Flu :: Sick
10. Mad :: as hell

No comments:

Post a Comment