21.10.06

The great Apple Debate

As I mentioned last night, I was using a friend's PowerBook (that's a Mac for those of you who don't know) to write part of my blog entry. I have been so torn between windows and Mac's since starting at the Science Museum (where Mac's are used). It's becoming slightly more distressing because some point soon I'll be in the market for a new computer and I will have choice to make.

The reasons I'd like to stay with Windows:
1. Windows Media Center Edition so that I can watch/record cable TV to my computer. This may seem silly or shallow. Here's the deal: My DVD collection is growing. I would like to see it grow at a slower pace which means have a DVR instead of a DVDR to record TV shows. If I'm going to shell out tons of cash for a new computer I'm not going to also shell out tons of cash for a separate DVR.

2. More available formal and informal tech support for Windows. This is true. However, my network of Mac-savvy-friends is growing.

3. I love Firefox. Some people like Safari. I am not one of them. Firefox runs slower on a Mac than it does on a PC and it kills my internet experience. While a software problem seems like the easiest to deal with, I haven't found a good workaround yet. The bulk of what I do on the computer is internet (and therefore Firefox) based, so while it may seem trivial, this is really the thing that would keep me from getting a Mac instead of a PC.

What got me thinking about this? I was on Digg and found This article about the Pro's and Con's of switching to a Mac, and the follow up the author had to write to respond to all the comments left on his blog and on Digg.

On to other stuff.
I found a nice article on American and immigrant views of poverty. Check it out here. I love the line about "attitudes of abundance". It's a good value to keep in mind.

Here's a hilarious anecdote of what happens when laptops get too big. Check out the video.

A fascinating look at computers that were supposed to be popular but weren't. My personal favorite: the tech support advice given to owners of the Apple 3 (#5 on the list).

Finally, here's something we should all wear to the airport at least once in our lives:



Viewed on a site called (I swear I am not making this up and I'd like to thank Digg and BoingBoing for helping me find this site to begin with) TerrorTshirt.com.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:44 PM

    Just to note. You can run Firefox on a mac. Just because it comes with Safari doesn't mean you have to stick with it.

    ReplyDelete