11.9.06

Response to questions

A couple wonderful people have left comments on my blog. An anonymous user taught me a new technical term. Yes, thank you. That must be it.

Also, Kelly asked me how I felt about being single. This one is going to take a while for me to think about and express. The short answer is I am totally open to being in a relationship or meeting someone at the very least.

A while ago a friend of mine who lives in Boston and I were talking. Sarah has been in a relationship for quite sometime and has been living with her boyfriend for maybe a year. I'm not sure. She made the comment to me that I'm lucky I haven't been in a relationship for the past few years because I've grown a lot on my own. She was saying I was lucky to get to know myself as an adult (and I use that term loosely). She was saying that there have been a lot of new experiences in my life lately and I got to just take my time and have them without being anything to anybody else.

Among other things I was lucky to basically loose my mind in Africa as a single person and not have to go through that experience the very first time while in a relationship. Now that I know what it's like, I'm much better able to tell people what I need and why I'm acting the way I am. I'm also able to see how my stuff impacts how I treat other people when I'm going nuts. Another way I think I've grown is that I understand what a relationship is about a lot better than I used to. I'm not going to say too much more about that.

I think about friends I have who've been in relationships for a long time. Obviously most of my friends are also in their twenties and they've been going through the same thing of going to college and picking careers and finding jobs and making "actual" money and paying bills and so on. But some of these people also seem like their relationships are limiting their ability to grow. They act the same around each other as they did when they were 20 and that was nine years ago. I always think of Sarah's words to me when I think of those relationships. I also think about how I acted in many of my old relationships, what I've been able to pick in the mean time, and what I'd do differently now.


So my conversation with Sarah many moons ago keeps coming back to me and helps me feel prepared for a relationship.

That didn't really answer Kelly's question but it's what I wanted to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment